close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of bowing out of ice fishing...

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by d_rek, Jul 27, 2017.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

As you get older you will find many people that you have shared outdoor pursuits give up, move south ect. I ice fish nearly every day and while I don't exactly fish with anyone we meet on the lake. I fish a large inland lake and you get to know the regulars. we share tips, locations, and stories. We kinda watch out for each other. Ice fishing is one of the easier things to do alone. It would be a looong winter for me without ice fishing.

2. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

I hear that I find now that I'm a bit older what used to take me 3 hours now takes all day or longer.
    Then there's the losing everything setting it down what did I do with this can't find my keys where's my license where's my cell phone did I remember the bait! Actually it's kind of hilarious I just laugh at myself do what I can do, sometimes it's easier and specially in the winter and it's 10 degrees out just to sit in your chair can't get hurt that way!

retired dundo likes this.

3. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I find that as you get older it harder to get motivated more than it is harder to do things. Being organized and ready really helps. When I was younger I had more time in the winter and I made the most of it. I would often start at day light running slammers for steelhead. In the morning my wife would often come to the lake with the kids and we would switch over to perch and run tipups for pike. In the evening I would often switch lakes and fish bluegill or head to the river for steelhead. I had to put helper springs on the 3/4 ton to haul all the tackle. Nowadays I concentrate on one thing at a time. If I am going to fish gills, perch or walleye I concentrate on that one fish. I have different boxes and rods setup for each species. I make sure everything is set and ready to go before I go so I am not trying to rig on the lake. When I get home I take care of the fish immediately. And after supper my rods get reriged if needed and the tackle organized, whether I go the next morning or the next week I am ready. If you fish a bit it helps to organize little things, like my jig box always goes back in the same pocket. If you have a system and take a few extra seconds to always put things back where they go the whole process goes so much smoother. I only keep enough for a meal. If I am gill fishing rarely do I have to take more than about 15 minutes to clean and package fish. I fish out of a one man flip over if I need a shanty. I gave my two man shanty to my son and grandson. If I go with someone I set my one man up next to them and we can talk easily. If my wife goes she gets the one man and I fish outside. I don't do marathons anymore. Nice days I will fish longer but if I am not enjoying it I go home.

4. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

Sell the gear you feel you won't use/don't need know and buy yourself two good perch spears! A couple of jig poles or bright colored decoys for pike pull perch in, if they don't want to eat, feed them the steel :D

I say two perch spears because I've had one pinned to the bottom and more swim in. Get a pike spear while you're at it. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Firefighter likes this.
  5. Scales N Tails

Scales N Tails Banned

Is there really any other way of fishing!!! Favorite time of year.... Bring on the ice

hawgeye likes this.
  6. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Hahaha yes, wow I'm tired just reading this and need to sit down!

Yes pre orginization, and pre rigging poles are essential to any type of productive fishing!

7. retired dundo

retired dundo

The thing I find the hardest since Iam getting old is walking out Especialy if there is a lot of snow

DecoySlayer likes this.
  8. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Last year was a good year. Best ice is first and last, we had a LOT of first and last ice.... Gotta find a good "area" and stay away from the crowds. I don't like nearly as much as I used to because I have to be a lot more careful in my chair but C'mon ya can't get better watching those pigs come in and take your offerings ! I actually have more people to fish with in the winter since most my buddy's are construction worker's and are laid off. C'mon ice :)

9. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Dam, you meant that. You said it twice . ;)

10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have been going threw almost the same thing. I only went out once this past season because my oldest son doesn't care for it and my friends down here really don't go. All my ice fishing buddy's are in the Yoop so it's very hard for me to get motivated. I have fished the lakes around my place for several years but I don't like going alone. If We were back up there I would be fishing everyday so I know that's what's missing. The comarodary of friends fishing together. You see it all the time ice fishing, A group of friends in the same area, laughing and joking and telling stories ( lies ). I miss that.

11. Scales N Tails

Scales N Tails Banned

Anytime you want to go and ice fish a inland lake in Roscomon county or Saginaw bay let me know. More than glad to set you on fish...

stickbow shooter likes this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

13. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

It speaks volumes when I am heading back to my truck after the morning bite and most guys are just walking out .You will get out what you put in with ice fishing .You have to learn the lake you are fishing and when the bite comes and what colors that lake will do best with .They are all different .

snortwheeze likes this.
  14. d_rek

d_rek

I feel like ice fishing is not a working dad with 2 kids and a wife that works kind of hobby at this point in my life lol. Maybe in 5 years when the kids can keep up I'll have more fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgeye and mattawanhunter like this.
  15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I am going to sell a few things for ice fishing at Pointe Mouillee. I need to convert unused toys, into cash, to purchase new toys, it's called "recycling".

snortwheeze and d_rek like this.