Themes and Life Hacks for Deer Camp & the Cabin

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TrailMarker, Oct 29, 2020.

1. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Over the years, I have had the great opportunities to visit quite a few lodges, lake camps, deer camps, rental cabins, cottages, you name it. Most of the places were pretty well kept, and you see a vast amount of ingenuity overall, and some down right cool and funny things. Although I'm still waiting on my "deer camp", occasionally I set things aside, or think about how I might design it and what features I would want to incorporate, themes, storage, furniture, mounts and so on.

For instance, one of my buddies keeps all the old licenses and unused tags up at his deer camp. I already kind of stole this idea and have a few years worth of the tags, nothing like looking at a fish bowl of $20 unfilled tags over a couple of beers and having some laughs.

That same friend has a wall in his camp that is dedicated to signatures of visitors, pictures and racks from previous years' hunts, pretty cool!

In Canada and Upper Michigan, I have seen water reclamation, basically catching all the water from the roof and containing it in barrels for use, and an outhouse with a "Canadian Drainfield", basically a buried plastic 50 gallon drum acting as the "tank" and a few more PVC laterals coming off of that in a sand bed as the drainfield. In another instance (this was in Canada also), these guys ran what seemed like a mile of hose uphill to some beaver impoundment. That camp always had good water pressure! Another guy ran his whole camp on solar & batteries.

Have seen some really cool porches, screened in, open, custom benches and built-in storage ideas. Bunk beds, attic storage, buck poles...the list goes on and on. As far as mounts, of course there would be spots for deer mounts and a bear rug, but have thought about getting a big racoon or woodchuck mounted because of all the grief they have caused me at properties! I think they would both make good corner pieces, the coon could be perched on an old wood fence as a corner mount, and the the woodchuck could be standing up in a raised garden bed. Haha, I bet those mounts would get some laughs. I think a map of the property or aerial picture is a real cool feature too.

One guy, designed a cable/pulley system so he can cross a creek to get to his hunting stand.

How about a sauna? Have seen quite a few nice ones, nothing beats a sauna or working plumbing at a camp, I'm not saying I need it every day, but ...

Anybody want to share their deer camp engineering or funny traditions?

motdean, DM90 and HUBBHUNTER like this.
  2. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

There's no running water or electric at camp, but it does have a toilet and septic. We use the gutters and a rain barrel for grey water to flush.

jiggin is livin and TrailMarker like this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I visited a camp in northern Iron County that there fridge was in the ground. They had a pit dug under the camp and they made a pulley system to raise and lower food into the pit then they would cover it with a door. Neat design. Had a silence of the lambs vibe lol.

motdean, DM90, Tilden Hunter and 7 others like this.
  4. Biggbear

Biggbear

If there was a bottle of lotion, and an Autotrader in a basket next to the pit I would have bugged out of there!

5. UPHuntr

UPHuntr

We wired and insulated our out house. Had the wireing go to an out door plug that we ran an extension cord to back to the cabin. The outlet on the cabin was on a switch. First guy up in the morning turned on the switch which turned on electric heat and light in the outhouse. Also we made a water shed on the back of the cabin that had 2 55gallon plastic drums we filled with water from the local artesian well, plumbed it into the cabin with a shallow well pump and an electric 25 gallon hotwater heater and we had running water for showers and dishes.

motdean, Stubee, vsmorgantown and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

As seen in the picture, in the 80's when I was the ultimate spike killa - I'd hang horns and skinned out deer tails on the wall with the arrows that took each one.
    That tradition morphed into just labeling the arrow with the date and description of the deer taken.
    091518_VCR2.jpg
    <----<<<

motdean, LabtechLewis, DM90 and 4 others like this.
  7. uofmball1

uofmball1

We have a large areal photo of our property and it is very useful. We use it for showing new hunters the property and where all of the stands are.

8. greense1

greense1

We’ve got the spent round hung on a nail/screw for every deer shot out of camp. You write name, date, weight and points on the rafter. Some also have the antlers there. Something most people find kind of cool. We’ve been a fairly successful camp in sheer numbers of bucks taken. Not a great picture but you can see a few of them.

Attached Files:

9. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

That’s cool!

DM90 likes this.
  10. Chessieman

Chessieman

I use to keep the spent shells in the blind mounted on the wall. Got rid of them, to many running deer. On my panelling in the blind I have painted a scale of my shooting areas with certain visual marked with yardage. My brother writes down deer shot from his blind noting who, date , sex and points. When he sold his house he took the blind with him and still uses it this day.

motdean, DM90 and up520 like this.
  11. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I'll add that I keep a camp log of all hunts. Include names of hunter, location hunted, deer sightings, kills, temperature, wind, and cloud cover. Occasionally, significant events of the day like setting up stands, or sign found when scouting an area.
    <----<<<

B Smithiers, Stubee, DM90 and 2 others like this.
  12. DM90

DM90

Maybe have the raccoon mounted on top of an old school metal trash can! lol :D;)

up520 likes this.
  13. Woodsman Traveler

Woodsman Traveler

It puts the lotion on the skin.....

DM90 likes this.
  14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Camps do not have working plumbing, cottages do. Camps seem to have names but that is not required at cottages or lodges.

up520 and B Smithiers like this.
  15. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

We have an old beat up garage sale mounted bobcat that has provide a good decade's worth of entertainment. Now he resides tucked back in the wood shed were you won't see him until you are under the canopy right next to it. I know its there and it still startles me. Imagine what happens when we send the new guy out.

motdean, up520, 3X8 and 2 others like this.