The sturgeon r coming

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by riverbob, Apr 30, 2018.

1. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

A good friend (that don't lie) was fishing eyes, sat on the grand below GR, n hooked something that he couldn't move n it came off, a little later something big splashed, then his buddy hooked something big also,( thinking it was a mudd) it pulled them around, after about 10 or so min.,he put more muscle to it, it surfaced n with a swipe of it's BIG tail it broke his line, they saw it was a 6 foot sturgeon (they were using jigs so they figgered they were both snagged) they saw 2 more surface before they called it quits, so keep your eyes open they should b showing up below the dam.

2. Sparky23

Sparky23

Was a few along the wall 2 weeks ago one 4ish one 6ish

itchn2fish, slowpaya and Trout King like this.

3. Trout King

Trout King

Awesome. I have yet to see a wild sturgeon, but I would sure like to.

itchn2fish and slowpaya like this.
  4. junkman

junkman

Go over to LSC the stupid things jump all over the place out there.Pretty cool to see a 6ft long missile come shooting out of the water.

slowpaya and Trout King like this.
  5. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

The first time i ever saw them i was around 6 or 7, i was fishing where the west side canal begins, early 50's, 2 fish were spawning, the 2nd time i was about 10 or 11 n fishing below bridge st dam (was wading fishin spinners for smallies) n 3 of them came over the dam right in front of me, they were bigger then me,it spooked me, so i got the hell out of the water, n called it a day, it will b pretty niffty to see them make a come back in the grand

itchn2fish, Mike, tbbassdaddy and 2 others like this.
  6. Trout King

Trout King

I am surprised with as much time as I have spent on the Grand I have never seen one.

I have a friend who said (this was over a decade ago) he saw one jump while catfishing above Lyons Dam one evening. I'm not so sure there is a population upriver so I was a bit skeptical. I would love to see them make a comeback someday and have them just down the road from my place. I live just upstream of Webber, so seeing one by the house is not a reality I suppose.

I always enjoy your input and stories Bob. Very interesting to hear of the things you have experienced on the river through the years.

itchn2fish, TK81 and slowpaya like this.
  7. Fishndude

Fishndude

They'll be piled in the Big Man pretty good in a couple weeks. They pretty much spawn there from about mid-May through June. You stand a real good chance of seeing some jump below Tippy dam in that time period.

itchn2fish, slowpaya and Mike like this.
  8. Trout King

Trout King

Thanks for the heads up. I'm much more likely to be poking around that area than the east side. I might have to take some time to stop and go searching between troutings.

itchn2fish and slowpaya like this.
  9. goodasgold

goodasgold

I saw a 5 footer come out of the water this evening while fishing for cats. Magnificent fish.

itchn2fish, Trout King and slowpaya like this.
  10. fishgod

fishgod

54 incher I boated two years ago on the lower Grand while drifting for wallygators. Also caught on a jighead, and released to fight another day

Attached Files:

11. woody1963

woody1963

Last year below Croton i was suprised to hear my buddy hooked into a couple, i was like sure you did, until i seen some come flying out of the water

itchn2fish likes this.