The strangest thing you have ever caught?

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by The Average Joe Fisherman, Oct 3, 2010.

1. The Average Joe Fisherman

The Average Joe Fisherman

In another thread I posted a report from my blog - The Average Joe Fisherman http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/
    A person replied in the thread about catching a turtle and that got me thinking about strange things that I have caught. The strangest being a beaver! I was spinner fishing a small stream for brook trout and snagged it in the back of the head right behind the ear.

What is the strangest thing you have caught while fishing?

I'm posting this question in both the north east and north west forums. It should hopefully make for some good reading! =_)

2. Rysalka

Rysalka

While in Virginia went to my Bluegill hot spot a creek that emptied into the inland waterway, taking along my Fly Rod and 3 month old Lab puppy. I quietly slinked up to my spot and flipped a grass hopper fly over the grass and into the fishing hole. Almost immidiatly I felt a twitch..set the hook and hauled out a 3 foot cotton mouth snagged in the back, 7ft Fly rod with a highly interested lab pup trying to get lunch, very mad cotton mouth swing by my head as I tried to keep it away from the puppy and keep it from getting me... Finally just cast him back in the water....Oh Yea Lab Puppy and water, hauled the snake back out of the pond here comes the snake sails past my head and into the bushes, I grab a Lab tail as he high tails by in hot pursuit......Snake got away and I left with the Pup....never to fish with him again..

3. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson

While perch fishing at the peer in Lexington, I pulled my line in and laid the rod down on the dock, only to turn my back and have a Sea Gull gobble up the hook,, minnow and all. Stupid bird. I got my hook back, but he didn't like it much.

4. Ephemeroptera

Ephemeroptera

Tough to beat a cottonmouth!

My oldest son hooked a muskrat on the Ausable when he was about 10. The muskrat swam right to a hole and went up under the bank.

I thought -- just for a minute -- about reaching in and trying to get the fly out (it hooked in the 'rats back leg). Thought better of that and just cut the tippet.

--Mark

5. coldog22

coldog22

when i was 12 my parents were fishing. my step sister and brother went with me to walk around. we look in the water and found a turtle, thinking it was dead we went and got uor net. we poke it with the end of the net while its in the water and it doesnt move. we bring it out and it goes crazy, ripping holes in the net. it was a 2foot 7 inch snapping turtle, best turtle soup ive ever had.:fish:

6. The Average Joe Fisherman

The Average Joe Fisherman

Those are great. Best post I have read this morning so far. =_)

Keep'em coming!

7. ptaustinpete

ptaustinpete

I was fishing in the Huron river when I was about 6 or 7. Went to throw out a hook & sinker and hooked my little brother right in the lip. The sinker drove the barb out the other side. He looked just like a carp.

We were in the town of New Boston, and had to walk up town to the doctor with him still on the line. The doctor was making fun of my dad and laughing way too hard to remove the hook.He was telling my dad " you stupid russian, you need to teach your kids what a fish looks like.

My father was really pissed about that one. My brother still has a scar. OOPS!!

8. Shupac

Shupac

Cedar waxwing, snagged on my backcast. Couldn't hold on to the little sucker long enough to remove the hook so I cut the line right at the fly. Hope he made it.

9. Steelmon

Steelmon

Had an Alligator slam my Mirror Lure Top Dog in Florida. I don't know if it counts, cause I didn't land him, Thank God :yikes:.

A Pelican that grabbed my Mullet-- mid-air. I did land him.

A poisonous Weaver Fish, with a spear gun, in Turkey? Nasty creature there.

10. coldog22

coldog22

lol russians, man if i was your dad i would have showed him something.:evil::evil::evil:

11. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

raccoon:tdo12: aparently they like crayfish put up one hell of a fight pulled out line but then I ripped the hook out before I could wack it

12. Denny jr

Denny jr

I dont know if this counts or not....

When I was 6 or 7yrs old, my family owned a restaraunt on a lake. I saw a lil duckling swimming by itself all around the lake just sqeaking and meeping away, so I grabbed my water swim raft and set out after it. I swam and swam trying to catch up to that thing (probably scaring the heck out of it) and finally cornered it under a boat dock WAY up the lake.

I swam up to shore and walked back to the restarant holding on for dear life! I went through the back door and asked for my dad, he came out and started laughin at me, calling for my mom. When they got through with their cute jokes and pictures, my dad told me I had to let it go. I argued, of course...I wanted to keep it, and I said that if I would let it go it would die. My dad convinced me that it would find its mother and everything would be good.

We all walked down to the boat dock, and I put it in the water. It slowly swam off towards the end of the dock.....SWOOSH!!!!!!!!!!

A huge pike, or muskie surfaced and GULPED MY DUCK!!! I was sooooo upset! I cryed for about 20 sec, then dad and I went running for our poles! I will never forget that.....

13. Anish

Anish

I had that happen on the North Branch of the AuSable a couple of years ago. Lol, I was teaching my 8yr old (at the time) how to fly fish. The waxwings are crazy on that river!
    A few years before that, on the same stretch, I hooked a bat while night fishing. Couldnt figure out what tree I had hooked and why it kept moving. Lol!

14. junkman

junkman

About ten years ago at the cumins flats I hooked and landed a bikini top.:lol: