The raft ice conditions

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Nodinkdevin, Jan 21, 2020.

1. billfer

billfer

People were on at the raft when I drove by yesterday afternoon. I didn't see anybody at Fairhaven. Hopefully someone will chime in with a more first hand report. Looks like we've got some favorable overnight temps this week that will tighten up some of those areas that at least have a base.

Cohojoe, GRUDER and Some dude like this.
  2. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

Yea I was thinking the same thing billfer. If we get some 25 degree nights in a row, a morning whale hunt would be added to my schedule. Did the ice look white when u passed was hoping possibly the black ice somehow did not degrade

GRUDER likes this.

3. billfer

billfer

Can't say for sure. My guess is that it did or there would have been people out there. But one of my pet peeves is people declaring the ice unsafe without checking it themselves so I'll refrain from doing that. I will say that other north end areas that were in pretty good shape Friday night had significantly deteriorated by Sunday morning.

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mod

Or guys exploiting it and/or discounting on account of pressure or marginal ice

If I were to find fish and decent safe ice, the last thing I would do is to openly place it on here.... this year!

Talk about a Zoo! Just look at the Selfridge threads...lol

Yeah someone bought a new power auger! He’s gonna use it, much to the dismay of others.

5. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

I accept private messages as well :)
    But yes I guess you are right I would of been pissed off if someone was using a gas auger on 3 inches of black ice. Just trying to make the most of the season just happy sitting on the ice getting a line wet don’t need to fill a bucket.

Shoeman and billfer like this.
  6. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

That’s unfortunate hopefully we start to get some more cold nights soon :/

7. outdoorsman48049

outdoorsman48049

I don't like when i see someone with a chain saw walking pulling a shanty, but i suck it up and listen to there RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for a few min and done.....but get pissed off????wow.....like i've said before, my shoulder is not as good as it used to be, i have a gas auger...if someone doesn't like that........please let me know......so i can simpathize with you a bit.....as i drill my second hole......i just don't get these comments......i just don't.....my father in law had to use a crossbow, when his shoulder got bad....i didn't say , hey, quit wimping out old man......i understood his situation....and that was that.....i don't get the reason that a person can't use a gas auger...i was at selfridge, getting perch, but i noticed that when a few guys drug their rigs by, the bite would stop...what did i do, wait for it to calm down, and get back to catching fish...but get pissed....what good would that have done, "hey YOU GUYS, quit walking by my shanty!!!!", yea ok......lol

bowhunter42 and eyedhitit like this.
  8. eyedhitit

eyedhitit

I’m not old by any means. 44...Last year I bought strikemaster electric but only because I could. I gave my perfect running gas Eskimo to a friend and have no problem with people running them around me but at least I don’t have gas on my hands anymore! Ha! Some people are just rude and have to update their Facebook all day so they put down people with gas augers . I’ll probably regret getting rid of my gas when the bay gets 30” of ice again next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. june bugger

june bugger

I agree 100%
    Sometimes there is a fine line between helping someone and screwing yourself. That's why some people up north are being quieter this year more than normal, because of the lack of ice in southern michigan. I have helped a few people out this year but only talked more of the community spots on larger waters.

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  10. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

You were on 3 inches of ice in close proximity to other people not only is it dangerous for u to use a gas auger but it could also scare the schools out of the small boat launch. On thin ice I would say ask for someone to spud you a hole don’t mean to be blunt it’s just the truth. If you went through with the gas auger in your hands I don’t know how it would turn out.

snortwheeze and Craves like this.
  11. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

Ice is not very safe lots of 1 1/2-2 inch pockets everywhere wouldn’t venture out to the clear ice stacked stuff is only 2 1/2-3 at thickest. Bite is horrible water is chocolate milk.

Attached Files:

Cohojoe, Old lund, jumbojake and 4 others like this.
  12. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Let's quit beating a Dead Horse Fellows, Agree with both sides This is about ice fishing and ice conditions. Not about making the other guy mad. Help a brother out you here and You see somebody with gas auger offer to do the holes with your drill. Good luck be safe and hokum In the lips

13. outdoorsman48049

outdoorsman48049

i have to say, i'm not mad, and i'm very rarely on 3 inches of ice...when i was at selfridge.(four days last week), there was at least 4 inches..( and i'm not going to ask someone to drill me a hole hmm)...was up at caseville yesterday....with my gas auger, lol, there was about 4/6 inches....some spots i think maybe three where old chainsaw holes were cut.My opinion, i'll use my equipt, just how it is.....Must have been a heck of a lot of Mad/upset people before the drill augers came along......I think its worse when people are running all over drilling "quiet" holes...than for a guy to drill two holes and fish for 7 hours, i drill two holes, set my shanty, and catch my fish.....as i'm sitting there, i have guys walking all around my shanty, drilling holes.....at times i wonder if i'm going to be on my own ice flow....here's another one i hear."why drill holes, there are a thousand out there"....answer, i have a shanty, it's hard to find 2 that match my hatches....so instead of walking about, looking for two holes the right distance, i drill two, set my shanty, and done.....I wish we would have had ice like last year...so i wouldn't be even talking about this stupid sh..............

Falk and retired dundo like this.
  14. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Admin Super Mod Mod

Use what you got. Others do.

outdoorsman48049 and martman19 like this.
  15. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

Ice on shoreline is starting to really break up at fairhaven bring the 8ft planks if u plan to venture out there

6667supersport likes this.