close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Public Land Experience

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JustinB60, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Tryin2

Tryin2

I can't agree with that 100% most times yes but one of my best spots on a heavily pressured section is less than 100 yards from the main parking area everyone just walks right past it.

cclafave and jps like this.
  2. Ol Mucky

Ol Mucky

Ha! Good one

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

That's basically how I hunt, but am always running into folks. This past spring we thought we found gold. It is a remote spot that had great amount of sign from the previous season. After checking it out and deciding on " the tree " something caught my eye. It was a empty Vaseline container. WTF ???. I will hesitantly go back in there but will be on guard always. lol

4. jps

jps

:lol: isn't that amazing the stuff that can be found in state game areas?

stickbow shooter likes this.
  5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

It is nuts, there is one spot we know of that there are empty beer cans from the pull off to the person's stand. There has to be at least a case. I should of picked them up but I had nothing to put them in. Oh an the newest thing guy's are doing, they are using plastic bags you get from the store to mark there way into there stands. Then leave them. Friggen pigs, I would hate to see how some of these folks live.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    ridgewalker and d_rek like this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

We have three big camps around my place that are here the last 3-4 years. One camp is nothing but loud,gun shooting drunks. The other two I don't no anything about except that one is nothing but Hmong, some are from Minnesota and the others I presume are from downstate. But all three groups leave one hell of a mess when they leave. I am talking leaving torn tents, trash, beer cans scattered around the sites. And yes the DNR have been notified but it continues to happen year in ,year out. Pure Michigan, sad.

ridgewalker likes this.
  7. sureshotscott

sureshotscott

To be fair, I think a lot of litter found near parking areas is from kids partying. I'm no CSI tech but I've seen plenty of condom wrappers in those lots...

8. fishinfanatic19

fishinfanatic19

This. It's just like those who think it's a spot to dump old couches and desks, dressers, etc. people pull in those lots eat lunch drink beer and just throw their trash out the window. I'd like to think that most hunters don't leave all that mess!!

9. jps

jps

I've seen this: white plastic bags tied up to sappligs to mark a trail.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  10. jps

jps

Yes. this is true too. One of more secluded parking lots in Dansville SGA is a popular party ground for local kids.

11. jps

jps

Some hunters do leave a mess behid. And some others pick up their trash plus some more.

Perhaps we should organize cleanups after turkey season in the areas we hunt.

stickbow shooter and motdean like this.
  12. fishinfanatic19

fishinfanatic19

Yep jps, didn't say no hunters at all leave trash. I said most don't

jps likes this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

It sounds like the problem is that you are going in so far that you are practically at the entrance on the other side of the woods. ;)

Buddy went a mile in to a 2 mile sqaure, shot a nice buck during muzzleloader, not the best shot, and it ran away from him. His options were drag the buck forward to the next road and walk two miles in the woods or four on the roads back to his truck, or drag the buck 1.5 miles to the truck. Or call me to get his truck and meet him at the road 0.5 miles away.

14. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I have been on cleanup drives. I have also seen hunting camps immediately after the hunters have left. There are all types of folks that trash public lands. Folks that don't want to pay a trash bill, kids partying, campers, hunters and others do this. In my book they are all slobs and they steal the public lands from all of us by their behavior.

jps likes this.
  15. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I agree on parking spots becoming dumping grounds, but these are camp sites. I visually saw them camping there, the after they left, I went back. Sure enough trashed.