The Old Days!

Discussion in 'Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum' started by Splitshot, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Splitshot

Splitshot

Kingfisher 11 started a thread about his 9 years on the site and I can’t believe I have been a member for over 8. The time goes by so fast. It got me thinking that although missed the very first M-S outing on the Big Manistee I made quite a few of the other ones and thought some of you might enjoy reliving some of those adventures.

I’m starting this thread with some of the 2001 outings pictures and if there is enough interest in this one, I will do the same for 2002 outings and so on. For this to work however, I need your help. I have numbered the outings and pictures so when you recognize someone, identify the person, add any comments about the outing and if you have pictures add them as well. It might be fun.

I purchased my first digital camera in 2001 and I didn’t have a good system for storing pictures so many of the pictures I have taken are lost or in some obscure file I haven’t found yet. I know I had tons of pictures of our pheasant outing, but only found one.

Some of you will recognize some guys we haven’t heard from in a long time so let’s hear what you remember.

I think Ralf (Shoeman) organized the first Muskegon outing and I recall we all had a great time. I know that before the night was over, my gut hurt so hard from laughing I couldn’t get to sleep.

My best reelection was meeting with John (Quest 32A) for the first time. I loaned him one of my float boats and when we started, I remember asking him if he wanted any advice or help. John replied that he didn’t so off we went. I’ll let him fill in how we did that day but suffice to say it was the beginning of an ongoing friendship and lots of fishing memories. Below are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later that fall we had a Pheasant outing on the east side of the state. I only could find this one picture, but in it is the coolest little dog you would ever want to meet. Otto was a great hunting dog and just fun to be around.

[​IMG]

The first time I met Spanky and our gang on the Joe turned out to be an awesome say. I was lucky enough to get an invite to fish on the Genuine Raft. As I recall, we all hooked some fish and I learned how to walk the dog.

This is Dave and he just showed up again on M-S. One heck of a fisherman and he is still chartering out of Ludington.
    [​IMG]

Ane the captain is aboard.
    [​IMG]

Clay we were steelhead fishing, not lake trout fishing. lol
    [​IMG]

You should see those bibs now. lol We had to let the captian catch one.
    [​IMG]

Fishcthr again. You can't leave this guy alone with a fishing pole or this is what happens.
    [​IMG]

2. Splitshot

Splitshot

I think it was the next day a bunch of us fished the Muskegon. As usual, Ralf kept us all in stitches and the day was also very productive. I fished with Mike that day in his new boat. I haven’t seen him around for a while and can’t remember many of the guys who were there. I think it was because we only fished one day and went home.

Mike
    [​IMG]

Ralf and Garden Fly I think.
    [​IMG]

This was a beautiful rainbow.
    [​IMG]

By the end of December that year, we had a lot of snow, but a few of us made a trip up to my cabin.

Don's first steelhead that didn't count.
    [​IMG]

Clay had a great day as I recall but this was the only picture as I was helping Don and Cly and Ralf were downstream.
    [​IMG]

I think the second day, only Ralf (Shoeman) and Clay (Serial Fish Killer) were left and we hit the river. My two favorite steel head pictures are the one with Ralf holding his rod in his teeth and the big male at his feet he released without taking the fish out of the water.
    Ralf's monster steelhead.
    [​IMG]

Wow!
    [​IMG]

This was another beautiful fish Ralf landed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

As our 10 year anniversary fast approaches (April 1999), I'm sure there will be more and more nostalgia. I'm going to post some more historical looks into the past as far as how the site looked in the early days.

4. treehunter2

treehunter2

wow old memories,thanks splitshot.. keep them coming been a while for me to surf thru here :D

5. Splitshot

Splitshot

Treehunter,

If you know any of the guys in the pictures or have any memories fill us in.

In the first picture I can't remember the name of the guy on the right with the red shirt and black hat. I remember that on another outing he caught and landed his first 20 inch brown on a fly and he was so thrilled he could hardly contain himself. He released the fish with a tear in his eys. My idea of a real compassion and conservation.

6. fishctchr

fishctchr

It has been a while, I can't believe how it's grown. I remember some of the outings at the lands inn (ramada) in Ludington. Ralf would always bring a few bottles of the Wisers Very Old, I think they keep a bottle at the bar still. Trips on the PM, Big Man, Elberta pier, and the Platte.

7. STEINFISHSKI

STEINFISHSKI Staff Member Mods

Very cool Ray, that sure seems like a long time ago.

8. SA ULTRA MAG

SA ULTRA MAG

Mike is alive and well, I fish with him quite a bit. He fishes out of a Hyde and a DryFly now though. We hit the MO river a couple weeks ago and caught 25 eyes and 2 northerns.

Good post Ray......

Thanks,
    Pat

9. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Great post Ray, Ill try and add some outing pictures from Lands Inn later this week.

10. Hunter333

Hunter333

Not to SPLIT hairs Ray, but I believe the very first M-S.com outing was a day of shooting and fellowship in Durand. Sarge and I got it going and I think there were something like 12 of us there. Of course, I have no proof (pics) but I will see if I can find a thread about it. Nice pics!!

OK, I had to go and look. The first thread that I can find about the outing is here
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2242
    Date of post is 5-19-2000.

Took another look, first post about a gathering is 5-10-2000. Man that seems like a long time ago!!
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2881

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  11. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

My gosh, look how young some of those old gaffers look.......
    Oh yea, they were younger then.:p

12. Splitshot

Splitshot

Your right Hunter. I went back and read that thread and it was very interested. I haven't seen Sarge or Curdog around for a long time.

I have some more interesting pictures when I start the 2002 outing thread.

John, how about those pictures.:)

13. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Lands Inn... I think this was Dec of 01,or it might have been spring of 02.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres a few, Im going to dig for some more.

14. quest32a

quest32a Mods

More[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this one was spring of 02
    [​IMG]

15. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

That Durrand Outing was the first. I was there. I still remember the pot-luck food like it was yesterday. This nostalgia is great with our 10th anniversary coming up. I'll see if I can dig up my pictures.