The Modern Hunter

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Nitro225Optimax, Nov 21, 2020.

1. edenwildlife

edenwildlife

That’s a awesome photo! I love the old hunting photos.

sniper and Nitro225Optimax like this.
  2. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

No need to slam the bolt home. Load a loose round in the chamber, slide the bolt forward muffle the Breach with a glove or hat and seat the the bolt. You can do this rather quietly. Been doing it with auto loaders forever.

jeffm, Former grunt, Radar420 and 2 others like this.

3. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Yes, soldiers figured that one out in the 60s.

Might hear a little click when the magazine goes back in but that's it.

Spartan88 likes this.
  4. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

How’s this? Better?

Tagged out.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

12Point, zer0, bwlacy and 10 others like this.
  5. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

MichiFishy and bowhunter426 like this.
  6. wirehair

wirehair

I believe the deer are out gunned. :)

7. Fool'em

Fool'em

congrats on the nice buck.

how do you like hunting with the AR platform? I tried mine this season and I will be going to a bolt gun for next year.
    Couple things I don’t like about mine:

Unreliable - shot coyote and next round didn’t feed right. After no problems all summer this has been the first problem but now I don’t have confidence in the guns reliability.

Aluminum and steel is cold to hold onto.
    Rail is noisy as in everything it comes in contact with makes too much noise.
    I don’t like the way it carries on a sling
    Overall length is too short even with 18 inch barrel.
    too heavy for its shortness

curious what your thoughts are.
    I have hunted with just a muzzleloader for many years and will be going back to that for the remainder of this season.

jiggin is livin and anagranite like this.
  8. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Our Rick River Arms LAR15's in 450BM have been flawless. That's why we have 3 of them in camp. When it comes to the AR platform, brand matters because quality matters. Most anyone can make a bolt gun well, and inexpensive. Some companies do not build AR's well, grabbing any parts from the junk bins and slapping them together. Magazines are just as important for feeding. Some AR's are not properly gas tuned with wrong sized gas ports on the barrels, etc.

The RRA's come with a lifetime warranty and guaranteed MOA accuracy. All of ours shoot anything we feed them and shoot sub 1" groups @100 yards with a couple of different loads.

As for hunting, I don't have any issues with noise, no more than any synthetic stock. As for cold metal? Eh. Even wood is cold. I wear gloves and have a plastic foregrip. Easier to carry afield and ready to go more than my bolt guns. I have some high end bolt guns and a high end muzzle-loader and I choose the AR over them. One really needs a tactical two point sling to comfortably carry an AR afield. Use the weapon as designed and it works well. Soldiers have been carrying them afield for days and weeks with slings.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Fool'em likes this.
  9. thill

thill

20141188_17_358_273.gif

10. Fool'em

Fool'em

I’ll admit I’ve never heard of Rick River Arms. Yours sounds almost as good as my Rock River Arms gun. They were very good and spendy. I have never had a problem with it so that’s what has me concerned. I have blamed the mag but I am not sure till I get the gun out too the range. I understand I could cover my rail with plastic but that’s only going to add more weight.
    I can buy a nice bolt gun so I will and will not be using my AR for deer hunting. Maybe I am just being too picky but it is what it is.
    It’s a good gun if you need the firepower but I don’t I’m not in battle I’m deer hunting and at least for me it’s not the gun I’ll be using.

Good luck

11. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I am not a fan of an AR platform, at all, for hunting. I know guys that love them.

Give me a bolt action. More accurate, more reliable, built for hunting.

Now, on a range, for fun, an AR can be enjoyable.

I love when people are happy and confident with their weapon of choice, so I am good with anything and prefer more choices.

12. Waif

Waif

If you are already familiar with the platform , you'll enjoy it's use more.
    AR's offer some versatility by swapping out uppers ect..

Not my cup of tea.
    I'd run my less accurate AK first. It's familiar, durable , and will tolerate more abuse.

A turnbolt is my go to on multiple rifles for deer.
    Familiarity. Proven accuracy. Tolerable to freezing rain ect. as demonstrated repeatedly.

At the end of the day , who cares what rifle is used if the results are an accurate well placed shot with a bullet designed for killing deer that performs effectively?

jiggin is livin and Fool'em like this.
  13. Fool'em

Fool'em

kind of where I’m at. I gave it a shot and there good things about them for sure. I won’t be selling mine but I now have an excuse to buy another couple rifles.
    Won’t lie I didn’t try it out on a good old fashioned deer drive. It could be just the gun for that I don’t know.

I have used an AR for hunting coyotes at night only once. It wasn’t my hunt and I wasn’t calling shots but I thought we would have killed more yotes with single shots and letting them come in closer. Running coyote at 300yards is tough even with an auto and multiple shooters. That was probably a dozen years ago and after hunting with that group I switched to hunting alone and a shotgun or my bolt 223.

FREEPOP and jiggin is livin like this.
  14. Spartan88

Spartan88

I'm not hunting with something similar I carried in the Army. But if that is your thing, go for it!

anagranite and MoreHuntingPls like this.
  15. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

Love the photo which started this thread.

Three years ago I didn't know what all the fuss was about with modern sporting rifles used for hunting, so figured I gotta find out for myself. My intent was to use my Savage MSR15 for SLP. I bought the Savage sharing your philosophy: brand matters because quality matters. But, the 350 Legend upper from Bear Creek had some feeding problems (3 jams in 45 round using 3 different ammo mfrs), so had to send it back to factory. Definitely not the CMMG magazine.

So, for 2020, my Savage 220F 20-ga slugger got the call. In previous years it was a Beretta AL390 with Hastings Paradox barrel. Neither has ever missed on a deer. Hopefully I can say the same thing with the 350 Legend next year.

But, I say use whatever goes "bang" and accurately knocks down the deer. Hunter numbers are dropping and that should concern us all. If a b&w photo with three hunting buddies and mean-looking military style rifles helps draw more yutes into hunting and outdoors sports, GREAT! And if that photo angers the liberals, BETTER!