The man who started this bow hunting thing...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Maple_Ridge, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

My Dad. He got me off to a start at the age of 14 with his old ben pearson bow. Borrowed his own army tiger stripped camo suit and I ventured into farm country Oct. 1st of the year 2000.

Didn't have much luck in the morning from that ladder stand by a bean field. Got discouraged, as some new bow hunters do. Dad told me to "Get back out there tonight" knowing the deer would move. Sure enough, like all dads are, he was right. I tagged my first ever buck, a 7 point. That started the journey.

Fast forward now 19 years, wow... We still hunt together as a family. Mom started a few years back also, and wondered why she didn't start years ago. She loves it.

In those 19 years, my Dad has heard every success story, every story on a possible chance at a buck that didn't materialize. He has heard me complain about weather, deer movement, and every minor detail in between. He has also put me onto some nice bucks, I tease him about paying for his outfitter service as more than a few times his information to me resulted in a nice buck getting tagged.

What's more about this bond we share is that he is my dad. And that alone is worth more than any bowhunting. Love ya pops.

I hope all of you get to spend lots of time with family this fall season. Enjoy it together.:)
    20191026_125541.jpg

2. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I wish I could still be hunting with my Dad but he moved to a new world 35 years ago. Enjoy yours as long as you can.

3. Plumbgranny

Plumbgranny

That's cool!
    I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my dad introduced me to video games instead of the outdoors. Actually it would have been "video game" (Pong i think), but you get my meanin'.

4. mbrewer

mbrewer

Yes!

DBosch likes this.
  5. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

Enjoy the time time while you can!
    My dad passed in the summer of '17, and was always my "good luck charm". I would love coming back to the cabin and sharing details of the day. The last few seasons he had, he would go to the cabin with me just to be there as he was not able to hunt.
    Memories! On top of memories of all the good times!
    You know how it goes ...
    ...In the wind...
    Miss you dad!
    <----<<<

6. Spartan88

Spartan88

My dad didnt deer hunt when I was a kid, we duck hunted. Opening week of ducks zone 3 my nephew hunted with me, he used my dads duck gun. The kids shooting would have made my dad proud. I think about my dad quite often, especially while out hunting. I cant thank that man enough for introducing me to the outdoors.

7. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Your a lucky man, cherish every moment and don’t take any for granted..... like a lot on here and eventually all of us........all you will have is memories.
    Flight