The Lake is producing - BIG TIME

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Fish Tracker1, May 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM.

1. Fish Tracker1

Fish Tracker1

Fish Breast Bay out of Sterling State Park yesterday. I kept track...we caught 51 walleyes, three yellow perch, about 15 white bass, about 20 white perch (several Master Anglers). All on harnesses with 1.5 to 2.5 bb. Went through lots of worms. Couldn't keep lines in the water. In 6 hours we NEVER were able to get 6 lines out...too many bites. The 18 we kept were 16 to 25 inches. Nice fish. Great time.

2. Fish Tracker1

Fish Tracker1

3. Fish Tracker1

Fish Tracker1

One follow-up - we saw some floating logs and trash - along with some used male personal items....what we used to call
    "Detroit River jelly fish". Thinking about it...we had about 3 inches of rain in a short time and that likely overwhelmed the sewage treatment plants, so treatment couldn't include filtration. "It" happens.

marty59 likes this.
  4. onebad800

onebad800

do you get many snags in the lake, i never trolled with harness except in the rivers so i always only pull 1 rod so i can feel bottom at all times? id like to put few in rod holders but too worried about snags, i assume the lake is better more consistant depth?

5. Sandy-man

Sandy-man

Fairly snag free, I’ve only hung up twice on the humps out from the mouth of the Raisin River. Not with bottom bouncers though.

6. Slimshady

Slimshady

No, snags are not a problem at all in the lake. The fish are usually suspended, so we are typically fishing anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 of the way down from the surface to the bottom. I will sometimes run bottom-bouncers on my "corner rods", but all of the board rods will be up higher, behind in-line weights anywhere from 1/2 to 2 oz. At 1 - 1.2 mph, a 1 oz inline will have a 3 to 1 ratio. For every 3 feet of line you let out behind the board, it will run 1 foot deep. 30 feet back = 10 feet down. With a 2 oz, it is about 2 to 1. 30 feet back = 15 feet down, etc. 1/2 oz is roughly 5 to 1 ratio. 50 feet back = 10 feet down. If you get above 1.5 MPH, then bump your ratios up a notch. 2 oz will be 3 to 1, etc. If I run my rods from the front holder in my boat, I can mark the sinkers on my graph, so I know how exactly how deep they are running. Obviously if you speed up they will run higher and if you slow down they will run deeper. Change speeds often, and mix in a few S turns too. Good luck!

7. Mike Dayne

Mike Dayne

We can't make it out till 10, last time we did this we got walleye right off the bat, then it was silver city. Is this kind of what happened with you?

8. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

We caught nine tonight between two of us. Threw back 6 or so that were too close to chance it. From 430-7. All 15-22”. Harnesses. 1.3-1.8. Purples, blues and firetiger. No specific length back. All basically along state park area in 16-19’ of water. Headed in early when the waves started rocking....a few silvers and a couple perch. No animals

9. iFishy

iFishy Premium Member

Excellent tutorial... Nice job bud!!

10. J Sibert

J Sibert

This may be a dumb question but is it one rod gets one board and one hook up and so on? Like four rods = four boards = four hooks or rigs?

11. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

For inline boards yes, if you are running big boards different set up.Dont overlook a hand held rod working a heavy bottom bouncer . Usually my most productive.

12. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

I agree Bill......when the fish bite - its hard to have all the rods in the water anyways.....last night - we would get doubles/triples and eventually end up with NO lines in the water (good problem to have though)

13. grousedog

grousedog

We caught a two man plus ten of the biggest white perch I've ever seen out there in front of the campground in 16 to 18 feet of water. Most came on copper or gold harnesses on bottom bouncers but we caught a couple on a crankbait and several others on a harness with a 3/4 oz inline sinker. I'm not much for trolling but we started doing that in the afternoon and switched to drifting when the wind picked up. They really started biting good once it got choppy. Our fish were more or less like I've been getting in the river. Most were about 16 inches with the biggest at maybe 18 and one throwback. We didn't get any of the bigger fish I've been reading about but the fishing was still great.

As others have cautioned, watch for logs. There is all kinds of junk floating out there that will ruin your day if you hit it on plane.

MISTURN3 likes this.
  14. BFG

BFG

One thing we have also learned over the years is that if you are catching nice walleyes, then they all of a sudden start to get smaller and/or you start getting into sheep/whities/cats you need to turn around. The smaller fish in general will hang together, but you won't be finding a lot of junk mixed in with mature walleyes (i.e. 22" and up fish). Sure, the "walleye school" may extend for half a mile, but a lot of times the quality fish are concentrated on the bait in a very small area and the by-catch is hanging on the edges picking up the scraps.

Good luck out there...it's going to be a fantastic fishing season on Erie.

jumbojake and MISTURN3 like this.
  15. Out-N-About

Out-N-About

I have a 16 foot smokercraft deep V with 50 hp Johnson. I have to choose my days carefully on Lake Erie. Assuming I left from Sterling State Park, about how far out do I have to go to get into the depth of water to catch these walleye?

MISTURN3 likes this.