The (High) Cost Of Lockdowns: A Preliminary Report

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by yoopertoo, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Gallows Humor. My favorite kind. ;)

2. AceMcbanon

AceMcbanon

If this pandemic didn't evolve and learn to cross state lines then our fifty different plans to combat it would not have failed...........

3. zig

zig Premium Member

Perhaps some leaders have reacted too aggressively, perhaps. But to say America has overreacted is indicative of the drunk perception of this, leading to our massive failure as a whole. We haven't overreacted, we've egregiously mishandled, there is a difference. We have failed on multiple levels, but primarily the Federal level in it's decision to shirk responsibility and kick states in the balls, and then we've failed on the individual level. Now, we could, well not we, I could, write a book about the failures of individuals in America. But, the short version is people think they know, they don't, people think they're smart, they're not, people think they're opinion is paramount, it isn't. Every internet idiot thinks they could be president.... Huh.... As I say that it appears that now in America any internet idiot can be president. Anyway, we've failed because we think we know better, on an individual level, we think we know more than anyone else. We don't.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Bob D, pescadero, d_rek and 6 others like this.
  4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Here’s what we do know. We tried 50 different plans that ranged from complete lockdowns to nothing at all. And none of them worked. In fact there isn’t decisive data that puts one states plan ahead of another.

Waiting for the federal government to solve all the worlds problems is so ignorant you can’t even argue it.

The new champion narrative is the Feds should have done something... Then when you say “what” there’s absolutely no answer. Deer in the headlights.

In all honestly after her initial hiccups (lockdown way to long in the beginning) our governor has done a decent job. Believe me I can’t stand her because of her anti-sportsman views but Michigan has walked this tight rope fairly well.

5. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Then you willfully decided not to educate yourself. Every claim was backed by a link to a reliable source (JAMA for instance). The article was simply an aggregate.

It is reasonable to attack the source if the piece is simply an opinion piece. This was not. It was sourced.

brewster and sureshot006 like this.
  6. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

It was sourced.

brewster likes this.
  7. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Absurd.

Nostromo likes this.
  9. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

We do. I didn't notice much change around here with the mask mandates. Most people were wearing them without the mandate. Same number of people arent wearing them with mandate. Walmarts was requiring them either way. Chain restaurants didn't open their lobbies even when the law allowed them to do so. Gas stations and convenience stores erected plexi glass and offered hand sanitizer.

Additionally, researchers have documented a recession in economic activity with or without the lockdowns. Truth is, people and businesses were taking safguards on their own.

Glock1911 and sureshot006 like this.
  10. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Replace "people" with "some people" and you have the beginning of a pearl of wisdom. Maybe make one of those wood plaques and sell it craft carnivals.

The world is a funny place. Truth does exist. And someone does know the answer.

pescadero, vsmorgantown and Dish7 like this.
  11. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yoopertoo I think he's right. We as people aren't smart enought to figure out anything by ourselves. We need the government to help us. The government is all knowing.

Piranha man and yoopertoo like this.
  12. jrose

jrose

Did we really fail? Or was it a massive victory?

Fool'em, Mole Hill and Nostromo like this.
  13. wannabapro

wannabapro

If all we truly need to do is socially distance and wash our hands, then we failed terribly. I made a post many many months ago that we would fail in America as we just don’t have this in our culture. Takes a generation or more to begin to change a culture. The feds told us what we were dealing with. The states told us what the plan was. Ultimately it’s up to you and me to handle it.

14. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

I know for sure the UP had millions of visitors from all across the country this summer with minimal increase in cases.

This wave is more likely the result of the well documented evidence showing respiratory viruses spread easier because of low humidity during cold weather. (google it there is a lot of scientific evidence demonstrating this). The lower the humidity the more easily infection droplets aersolize

DanSS26, TK81 and sureshot006 like this.
  15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

A "dry" nose also makes it easier for a virus to penetrate.

yoopertoo and sureshot006 like this.