close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Geese Won't Die

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by MC2, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

That's good to know. I always thought of mod chokes to be a good go-to for steel shot on waterfowl, but I never had a lot of confidence in it on larger steel shot like BB and larger.

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I haven't shot anything larger than 1's in probably 10 years, so I don't have a lot of field experience. Most of the geese I hit with ones are immobile on the ground with.multiple hits.

Oddly, my Beretta loved 2 3/4" BBB.

Lamarsh likes this.

3. SteelShot

SteelShot

Shot and choke are important so pattern your gun and find what works.

Also try not to overthink the shot. I make the mistake of aiming instead of shooting and miss every time. If I just pull up and shoot I have a lot better results. For whatever reason I can shoot clays without aiming but as soon as there is a real bird out there the brain starts thinking instead of just shooting. My point is if you know your pattern is ok relax and let your instincts do the rest. Oh yeah, keep your head on the stock too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Let 'em close, 30 yards, or less, they are MUCH easier to kill. Fewer cripples, and WAY more fun. It's the hunt that's fun, not the limit. They are close enough to shoot when you can see them blink.

limige, Lamarsh and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  5. jumbojake

jumbojake

De old 10 gauge en some T-shot,butt,belly,beak;)dose sky carp,will be done fur:)

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  6. jduck

jduck

Invite me along and I'll show you what to do.

DecoySlayer likes this.
  7. MC2

MC2

After getting out to the range and hunting this weekend, I solved my problem.

I've been shooting at geese at about 35-45 yards. I always imagined the shot would drop somewhat at those ranges. It does not. In fact, it hits about 5 inches high at 40 yards no matter what load I was using (Rio BB, Black Cloud BB, Hevishot #2). My brother had the same point of impact with his shotgun.

This entire time I've been either aiming at the head or slightly above, therefore shooting right over them. This weekend I aimed at where the water touches the breast, and had no misses. 2 shots, 2 birds, at 45 yards. And that was with a modified choke and the $10 Rio BBs.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

8. Oger

Oger

Thanks for the update......think I better do same. .....btw what did u use for patterning...a bunch of card board boxes?.....thought of buying some cheap gift paper and use white side?

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I think that large sheets of cardboard work better.

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Hey Oger, our boats are going in the water in the next day or so, be ready to go!

11. Oger

Oger

Lol.....i always have a " go" bag ready to go. .......hopefully they will start showing up. ...saw your pic of the sky rats good job.....3 less to crap on my lawn

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

LOL! Nothing showed yesterday.

13. MC2

MC2

I
    I actually photoshopped a life-size goose image and printed it on multiple pages, then taped them together. Probably more work than needed. A cardboard box as a support and gift paper would be fine.

14. meganddeg

meganddeg

I'm happy for you! I admire your ability to bring birds (as a new waterfowl hunter) and in your patience in waiting for the right shot. I also admire your humility in posting your original question. Glad that you received some helpful advice and now are getting the results you wanted.

MC2 likes this.
  15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Most shotguns used for wing shooting are stocked to put 60% of the pattern above the point of aim.