close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Geese Won't Die

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by MC2, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Pick up the book "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science," by Bob Brister. In addition to actually getting out there and busting some clays, maybe even with an instructor, it is a great read and great way to get the fundamentals on wingshooting. In addition to in person lessons and practice, I have always found it important to first mentally understand the principals. This book does just that. Brister also provides a wealth of knowledge on many other aspects of shotgunning. It's a fun book, and so is shotgunning!

2. jduck

jduck

I somehow ended up with a case of black cloud 3" #4 if your up this way and want to try some out. If your up for some field geese could try Fennville.

3. eye-sore

eye-sore

Not to sound snarky but its very simple.ya gotta lead em to eat em....hit em in the head and they die 100 percent of the time

4. Big Ches

Big Ches

Y'all are some geese cripplin' mofos if you're shooting #4 steel at geese on a regular basis. IC is a modified choke using steel. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than #2's unless you're decoying birds right in your face every time. But then again, you shoot at birds flying away after you shoot one in the face....you're crippling with 4's. I don't care what you say. I've shot a ton of geese.

lab1 likes this.
  5. adam bomb

adam bomb

I really like 3" #2's out of my SX3 with the Patternmaster Code Black Duck for waterfowl. I've shot Federal Blue Box, Federal Red Box, Remington Nitro Steel, and the new Federal Black Cloud out of it. They all pattern very well. My guess is point of aim is off. Particularly if they're sitting on the water within the guns capabilities. The head and neck is a lot to shoot at on a goose. It shouldn't take much to kill them on out to 35-40 yards.

Lamarsh likes this.
  6. lab1

lab1

Have to agree with BigChes, 4s are too small. I kill geese all the time with BBs. Usually dead, not cripples.

7. limige

limige

Yeah I do prefer decoying birds and shooting them in the face with #4 BC in the early season.

8. hammerdown

hammerdown

Imo I only shoot 31/2 inch kents 1 9/16th of bb ive shot it for about 7 years after the first 2 years you get very consistent shooting the same round its slower than a lot of loads but ive shot it for so long it nothing now just my thought same choke same gun same bullets. I 100 percent agree with big ches 1 shot to bbb for honkers in January they will laugh at 4 shot.

9. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I generally agree, but within 30 yards hit a goose in the head with #4 and it's going down.

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

IMAG2680[1].jpg

1.5 ounce Federal Blue Box 1 steel. Shot 9 times to get my 7 birds on the left, missed once and one needed a follow up shot - it was skirting the spread and took a round broadside at 40-50 which knocked it down but not out. After shooting the first few geese that came in at the edge of range, we wiggled the spread and had geese closing to 25 yards. When the guy with me limited out, we fired up the spinnies and opened the blinds while waiting for ducks, and still had geese working to 25 yards without calling and flagging.

The other six all hit the ground dead, which is typical of that load - Browning BPS factory M choke. Too bad it was a one time load for Dunn's and they don't make it any more. I have a box of Fiocchi 1 9/16 ounce 2's and while I haven't stretched them as far as I'll throw my 1's, they've killed pretty much everything from teal to 13# Muskegon geese.

11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

IMAG1053.jpg
    The very first two (2) rounds of Fiocchi 2's I shot from the case I bought. One with the jewelry circled the field about six times and would not buy it, then another flock came in, she joined them as lead and pulled them right into the spread. Dropped her and then the tailgunner from the back at about 30 yards. For scale that's a 26" barrel on the 12. I had to set them down more than once on the hike out.

12. sovaa4307

sovaa4307

Idk if you're still looking for #1s or not but I shot the 3" herters #1s all early season and they didn't leave any survivors. Very impressed with it being a cheap round.

13. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Have you patterned this load out of that mod choke you are using as well as an IC choke? Just curious how those to chokes pattern compared to each other while using that load.

14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've never had much luck with IC. I patterned IM with that load and was pushing 100%. With bigger shot the IM blew the patterns.

Lamarsh likes this.
  15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'll look into those Herters. My gun also likes 3" Drylok 1's.