close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Geese Won't Die

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by MC2, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

No issue with water swat here...but it does seem to be harder to get a good kill/drop shot on 'em then a shot into one about to land with it's wings spread out

2. MC2

MC2

I always range the farthest decoy at 30 yards. It's harder to get them closer due to the ten yards or so of lily pads that separate me from the spread. I wish a 20 yard shot would open up for me, but alas. Geese arent dropping into the decoys. They land a few yards farther out and swim to the far edge of the spread.

3. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Water swatting and ground pounding can be a little tougher than shooting them as they are about to land. Essentially it seems a lot easier.

My preferred shot is taking them as they are a couple feet off the water or land. With a good wind at your back this is truly when you "got em where ya want em". If you got em on a string coming right at you with the landing gear down they have their minds set on landing. It's harder for them to back pedal or bust to the left or right and everything is exposed.

When water swatting or shooting them off the ground I always tell everyone to put the bead on the white cheek patch. I haven't hand an issue laying em down this way. Then again our fartherest shots are 25 yards. I also run a mid range(mod) choke with 3" BB or 1's for geese.

4. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

puddle ducks jump almost straight up when they take off... geese are a little closer to a diver and make it hard to shoot when they take off... you have their back and head low... actually a tough shot...

but at landing... they have their wings out and open.... head up... actually a better shot than when siting with their wings tucked and covering there vitals....

landing is also the slowest they are moving before at rest....

I understand the cost of dekes and it takes time to get a larger set... but maybe two feeders in the lily pads close to shore directly in front of you... a few to the left and a few to the right... none in front of you... they may land right in the middle... just a thought...

we all have gone though some learning curves so don't be afraid to ask... anybody that has hunted long enough knows that there is no one answer....

jeffm and Highball28 like this.
  5. SL80

SL80

And, herein lies the challenge of waterfowling.

Eye_Chaser likes this.
  6. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

I'm a skeet instructor not too far from you (Jackson), I coach high schoolers and beginning wing shooters, I would be happy to help get you started on moving targets.

I would have to agree that I think the best shot presented for geese is just before they touch down. Put it on their middle and pull the trigger! Don't worry about the meat, better to have a dead bird with holes than no bird.

MC2 likes this.
  7. Socks

Socks

Just my thoughts, nothing more. It kind of sounds like you're aiming like a turkey or deer gun. I tend to shoot better with less thinking about the mechanics and just doing it. My $0.02.

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  8. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Probably some of the best advice in this entire thread. Some people overdo it and I think that’s why they miss. Let instincts take over and everything should fall into place.

9. MC2

MC2

Well, you've got me there. I'm definitely using it like a turkey/deer gun. I understand wing shooting is more instinctive, but I have no experience with it.

It looks like I need to be firing just before they hit the water. I never really thought about hitting them in the boiler room (probably because I keep thinking of how I hunt turkey), but it makes sense that they're shielded once they're on the water. From what I've seen with my shotgun patterns at 40 yards, there shouldn't be much need to play with my load combinations - a 30" circle full of dense pattern should do it, which is what I'm getting from the modified BB and the full #2. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'll take a straight overhead at 30-40 yards all day to a decoying bird. They're not changing speed and direction and all the vitals are exposed. The guy I hunt with the most has seen me make that shot so often that after whiffing twice on a straight over woody twice on the opener last year he asked if I was ok.

11. limige

limige

Ok, I've had similar results, I'm not the greatest wing shooter and I'm not above water swats but I have found geese on the water to be extremely tough to kill.
    Bring your decoys in a touch closer and shoot while they around about 10ft off the water, it's much easier to kill them in the air than when on the water, trust me.

Also try blackcloud #4 in the early season, later switch to BB or 2 shot.

Use only factory chokes with black cloud

12. Oger

Oger

My story is very similar but i already shoot an IC....went to T Shot and no problem since I am at the head....read whole thread some say at cheek some say lower .....iduno ...T's are hard to find.....wish i knew which way to go.always looking to make things simpler.

13. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

The head is a small target and most vitals are submerged in water so I get it.

IC choke with Steel is a good start as stated.

Steel is totally different than lead when it leaves your barrel. If you use a full choke it's too tight and the steel will spray out since it's so hard and doesn't compress like a softer lead pellet.

You can achieve tight patterns with a more open choke.

14. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

As a threshold matter, to the untrained waterfowler's eye, due to their size, geese often appear much closer than they really are. Steel shot's lethal range is not much farther than 30 yards, especially if the dense portion of the pattern does not hit the goose in the head or neck. That said, don't shoot a them unless you can fairly clearly see their eye balls. Geese are tough birds, and steel loses velocity and killing power fast, but should be effective within 30 yards. Your decoys shouldn't be set much farther than 30 yards, so try to use your decoys as a range tool. Don't pass shoot geese, you're just asking for cripples or geese simply shrugging it off notwithstanding being shot.

Second, while BB shot can be good for geese, the larger the size of steel shot, the crummier the patters it makes from tighter chokes. Steel shot does not deform like lead. Steel shot does benefit from being choked, but in my experience, larger shot like BB, BBB and T doesn't pattern well out of anything tighter than an IC choke. I have found that #2 shot choked IC or M works best for geese, and as an all around load and choke. #4 shot patterns even better IMO, but it's lethality at larger ranges with slower velocities as it gets out there is even worse due to its smaller size.

I cannot say for sure since I haven't patterned your gun and choke, but I think BB out of a mod choke is not a great recipe.

As was mentioned above, #2 and #4 are good. I like #2 for geese. I would try giving #2 choked IC or M a try, while also keeping the 30 yard rule in mind, and see how that goes.

15. MasterBaiters

MasterBaiters

everybody is different and so is their ability,ive shot a n A5 32inch full since 1971,3inch 4 s at least 1 1/4 ounce 1 3/8 when I can get them on ducks and geese with good success,however seldom over 30 yds on geese and only when they are air borne,a sitting target always harder to kill,when they do come in and land we jump them up,vitals and wings now available,dont like to see anything crippled,the labs do! I give you a lot of credit for trying to make the most of your situation and with time you will figure out what works best for you,remember when sitting they are seldom if ever perfectly still,gotta move that gun with the target,in most cases you've got a 9 ft shot string so when airborne point and swing thru your target!