The Frankfort Thread - 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by kroppe, Jan 17, 2020.

1. rlbyfd

rlbyfd

Over the next few weeks the Menominee will start biting. Also known as a round whitefish. They are relatively small, good eating. I’m not sure if the Burbot bite still happens off the pier. That used to be during firearm deer season. Good luck!

Doug B likes this.
  2. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

Well, nothing significant to report. A few guys were on the north and south piers. Couldn’t tell if they were doing any good. Didn’t see any movement or nets swinging.

We launch at 1000 headed with the wind south with a 6 line spread. 3 flatlines, a 2, 3, and 5 color. 3 bodybaits and 3 DW super slim spoons. We zig zagged from 30’ to 50’ on the way to Arcadia. Caught on 15” coho and released.

We headed back north into the wind and had two good rips with no one home and a third questionable rip and run. Best marks came on the 60’ and 63’ contours, but nothing really biting. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. toto

toto

The surf bite yesterday was weird. Landed 3. 2 skippys and one about 7. Had a ton of other hits and I suspect little cohos. Those are known to hit, jiggle the rod and gone. All that's left is a spawn bag with no spawn left, drives ya crazy.

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

If you haven't tried circle hooks for pier/surf fishing, you should. The fish hook themselves. I have an incredibly high hookup ratio with circle hooks. Close to 100%. But you can't yank to set the hook using circle hooks.

You can't fight, and land them, if you don't hook them. ;)

seabass810 and Doug B like this.
  5. seabass810

seabass810 Premium Member

That's what I use is circle hooks.

6. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

What size do you use?

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

They tend to run smaller than regular hooks, so I bump up a bit. I think I am currently using 4's, or 6's. I used 8's last year, and caught some smaller Steelies - but they are tiny little hooks.

8. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

I'll have to pick some up and try it.
    Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Fishndude

Fishndude

I have quite a few friends who refuse to use circle hooks, simply because they can't set the hook with them, the way they like to. I laugh at them when the lose a lot of fish @ piers, or surf fishing. I guess I just like to feel fish pull, more than I like to set the hook. To each their own.

10. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I might have to try. generally my meat and potatoes hook 6 gama. I'll run 8s with small 5 egg spawn bags those are deadly combo late season

rlbyfd likes this.
  11. surfstalker

surfstalker

I've been using circles for a long time. Fish hits, it's hooked up. Just start reeling and fight the fish. Other really nice feature is everything is hooked in corner of the mouth which makes for an easy release to fight another day.

Fishndude and seabass810 like this.
  12. Doug B

Doug B

gave the Elberta beach a try Saturday morning. weather was really nice as was the surf. there were about 6 guys on the pier and about 12 or so spread out for a quarter mile south. saw about a dozen fish caught from all that I could see. Nuttin for me. I had some really nice skein, but with surf, I could not keep it from tangling. I had some bags tied with a couple of floaters and the Pro Row artificial single eggs. They looked great and did not tangle, BUT they also did not get bit!

ThreeDogsDown likes this.
  13. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

The NWMI Fishing Club has opened up membership for the upcoming 2021 season. Go to their Facebook webpage and join!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk