The Frankfort Thread - 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by kroppe, Jan 17, 2020.

1. John Hine

John Hine

2. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

aw crap not again......saw an image of Grand Haven's S pier from this morning and the end of the pier was literally right at the water level. Any wave action is dangerous when you have the high water situation like we have now. I do a lot of pier fishing for steel and it really has me concerned in a few of my fav locations as we want to have wave action instead of calm and flat.

3. andyotto

andyotto

4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

So sad, prayer to the family's

fisheater, signman, andyotto and 2 others like this.
  5. loomis82

loomis82

Damn sad right there! Can happen to anyone. Lucky to have rescued two! Could've been all three plus the one trying to rescue.

6. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Dam, just sad to hear.

fisheater and andyotto like this.
  7. Fishndude

Fishndude

Sad to hear, and so avoidable.

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

Sad to hear, and so avoidable

Got any sources to validate this rumor? I haven't seen anything on news feeds.

9. crystalflash

crystalflash

The loss of a child has a unique pain. We pray for all those who loved this boy to be given strength and comfort.

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Caught plenty of them down here before it was decided we didn't need them any longer.

Sparky23 likes this.
  11. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

Caught one brown in 6 trips (March and April this year). I figure that fish took a full 24 hours of trolling to catch. I stuck at it and ended up doing it solo. Cold weather and water made for some uncomfortable days.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky23, BryPaulD, Jobow and 6 others like this.
  12. BattMan

BattMan

So tragic. Prayers go out to the family!

13. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

Frankfort waters and the piers will be closed today, as a massive search for the missing boy will take place. This according to the Frankfort Fire and Rescue FB page.

John Hine likes this.
  14. nighttime

nighttime

I hope the boy is found for the family. Very very sad to lose a child, probably worst thing. Prayers to the family.
    State of Michigan needs to address this current problem as it’s not going change for sometime. Sucks for the pier guys but some type of posted rules and signage you can’t miss walking out of pier. Also possible closures. Children no go without parents, probably should be number one or two.....

fisheater likes this.
  15. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

BTW - there is posted language by the Corps at all piers.....not intended for public access....continue at your own risk.

Us hardcore pier guys have 2 things that make us different from unknowing John Q Public.
    1) We spend an awful lot of time out on the piers and fully understand the dangers of being out there. Alot of times I find that when there is ice or icebergs that us fishermen are telling the public not to go out on the unsafe areas.
    2) When waves are serious and not safe generally it is too rough to fish and we plain out just don't go.
    I can honestly say that I personally have never seen another fisherman go into the water to where they were in danger of drowning. Saw a few get wet netting fish and had to send one off to get dry and warm as it was below freezing after he fell through the packed snow over the rocks and got wet up to his waist.
    Unfortunately there are incidents every year and most times they are people that do not understand the risks of being out there when the conditions are unsafe.
    Ludington last year had barricades out but short of a fence that cannot be climbed or passed people will still get out on the piers if they can. With the conditions that we have now it is more about education than restricting access. I still remember however many years ago when GH pier had a college age student get swept off right next to his friends in December when they were "wave jumping" during rough conditions. People need to understand the risk of loosing their lives out there when it is coming over the top of the piers. It can happen when it is sunny out in the summer or when we have a November gale so it all about thinking it through when you go out there.....am I safe and know what the risks are if I do go out?