The Frankfort Thread - 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by kroppe, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Daniel Agnello

Daniel Agnello

Seams to me that with all the misuse and violations they should close the river for a least one fall.
    Every year from Labor Day to late October the Little Manistee is closed from Manistee Lake entrance in Stronach to 300’ upstream from the weir.
    Fisherman may not like it, but it looks like more should be done.

weatherby likes this.
  2. 23offshore

23offshore

3. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Little M is to protect fish headed for the weir. As paltry as the return has been for the Little M they need any spawning fish that gets into the river to hit the weir with no interference for the egg take.

Betsie is all natural.....the closure is pure and simple a result of lawlessness and guys trashing public land. Simple as that. If the COs really got with it they could fund the whole DNR just on the Betsie and Platte....lot of violating going on.

4. John Hine

John Hine

I just don’t understand the littering. It’s hard to believe people are that selfish.

5. John Hine

John Hine

Waves are really bangin the south pier on pier cam!

6. 6667supersport

6667supersport

7. 6667supersport

6667supersport

8. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I went with a buddy to the river once we walked a 50-75 foot section seen lots of fishing related trash, any walkable section of shoreline looked like a herd of buffalo went thru there. Can only imagine what the popular holes look like. I came back from the river with more than i went with.

9. Daniel Agnello

Daniel Agnello

Yep agree, kings, coho in fall n browns n steelies eggs are taken at the LM Weir.
    Things get bad and it’s a zoo at Tippy Dam on the Big Manistee but never heard of it getting anywhere close to what it sounds like at the Betsie.
    Again, close it down n put in a fish ladder .

weatherby and John Hine like this.
  10. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Based off returns, why not drop the LM as a brood stock river for chinook, and use the Betsie instead? Much better return, wild fish and already a weir in place. I guess that makes too much sense. They could also just stop goofing around and get all they need from the Swan, which always gets a solid return. The LM’s days as a dependable salmon egg source appear to be over.

Sparky23 likes this.
  11. nighttime

nighttime

Nothing ruined in my eyes, lol. 300’ of river? I see why guys that suck at fishing would be up set, fish in a barrel at that point. So much water to fish besides, get out and explore. No ladder needed, if anyone had the rights to fish there I’d say ethical veterans, and handicap only but that would get ruined also.
    Just my opinion.... run a sting and bring heavy policing one week every September, write lots of tickets to polluters and poachers, rotate weeks annually. Do that a few years and maybe influence some away or to respect. Wishful thinking, but never happen
    Daniel, LM’s only takes eggs from steel and kings and only stock kings. That river has an amazing amount of coho, only can fish in small window.

12. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

Skunked all weekend until Monday morning. They landed 2 steelhead.
    Haven’t gotten the low down yet but will at work tomorrow morning

anthony oriano likes this.
  13. anthony oriano

anthony oriano

It was just a good place to get a guy who couldn't figure it out a salmon..or a kid. I took my Dad there. Easy for him to access and stand. It's not my idea of fishing, but the hillbillies with their Ugly sticks were always good for a chuckle. (Are they Hillbillies in Michigan, or do you have a better local term?) Plus one on the enforcement. We have a big empoundment (huge) with a small control structure into a Betsie sized river. Due to a design flaw, the Walleye pile out of the lake when the flow is high. Then they are stuck below the dam. The locals there use two, half ounce jigs tied six inches apart. They use 12 foot nets so you can't see the seven pounders coming in backwards. Anyway, the DNR set up and busted about a dozen guys. Took all their gear and a couple vehicles. Really had a chilling effect on the poachers.

Daniel Agnello likes this.
  14. Slimits

Slimits

What do you got against manistee?

BuckeyeFootball likes this.
  15. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I have heard the term "flatlander" thrown around a couple times, and the appropriate individuals took appropriate offense to its use. LOL

anthony oriano likes this.