The Frankfort Thread - 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by kroppe, Jan 17, 2020.

1. kroppe

kroppe

A new year, and a new Frankfort thread.

Wishing much success in 2020 to all sportsman fishing in and around this port - blue water and harbor, pier fishers and waders.

Please post reports from Arcadia to Platte Bay.

2. John Hine

John Hine

My favorite thread! Can’t wait to get out there, I’ve been sitting in my boat in the pole barn making motor noises & running my down-riggers U.P. & down practicing hooking my line in the releases like a pit crew! Come on spring! Lol

3. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Hopefully the water levels don't go up too much higher than last year. Didn't take much last year for the water to be washing over the piers and pier heads. The higher the water is, the less days there are to safely fish the piers on the West side of the state.

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Right!, and the best days have some good wave action.

LLSSt Clair, eggfly and kroppe like this.
  5. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Should be good steelhead fishing still. Been a good late season better now than it was in late November December

LLSSt Clair and kroppe like this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Hoping to post my own report on this thread come August.

How come it is for the winter run steel it seems the more water we're shipping into the 14', the better we do trolling the beach - but the summer runs when the lake flips we can catch them all day in blue skies counting pebbles on the bottom in 12'?

IMAG1985.jpg

IMAG1964.jpg

7. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

I've got a Fish Hawk, Big Jon triple rod tree holders, and some other misc items to install on the boat. Then adding some additional trailer lights, repack the wheel bearings. Can't wait to get out there, boat's name is Buff Water, hit me up on channel 10 if you're out there...

8. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

Will do Buff Water. I always have my radio on scan.

I have all my maintenance done and spoons washed in lemon soap.

I like to do “season-start improvements” to the boat just to keep improving my gear. Last year (2019) was downriggers and bigger trolling motor batteries.

This year its side curtains and those expensive Shark Cannonballs and Shark Flashers.

I do troll all year if I can up here in Traverse City/Frankort, (last day out was 10Jan2020), but can’t wait for those nice calm days in late April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. sportsman98

sportsman98

This thread isn't helping me wanting to get the boat out. But I've got a list of trailer maintaince to do (gotta love those double axle trailers) and I'm hoping to add a kicker control this year.

Last spring was the first time I really had the chance to fish the big lake early in the year and now it's probably my favorite time of the year to fish. If you see a green and white starcraft walleye boat, say hello.
    I've had my boat for almost two years and still haven't given it a proper name yet otherwise I'd give a radio handle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

"I've had my boat for almost two years and still haven't given it a proper name yet otherwise I'd give a radio handle."

No hurry. Get it right when it comes to you. My 14' is a 1994 and still isn't named.

kroppe likes this.
  11. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

“Any station this net, any station this net, this is The Twisted Dipsy out of the Port of Frankfort...radio check over”. You will here that several times a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. John Hine

John Hine

I didn’t hear much radio traffic in the mornings last year out of Frankfort, I thought it was broke half the time, lol. I’m the tall bald guy in the red & white 21’ Larson glass boat with the planer mast up front, her name is “HineSite” always scanning channels.

13. Wobble

Wobble Premium Member

Thanks for getting it started Kroppe, can’t wait till silver season is rolling. Added a iTroll and new Fishhawk so I am ready to try them out in Frankfort. Did some late fall testing in Lake Erie for walleye, they worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. John Hine

John Hine

A5D6C76D-1559-4D65-8BAF-07BE195EC825.jpeg Friends & Frankfort, 2019

Oldgrandman, eggfly, JDS1242 and 6 others like this.
  15. John Hine

John Hine

With all the debris that is sure to be bobbing around out there this spring I was considering some sort of deflector or prop guard to proctect the prop. I tried a cage on a smaller outboard years ago & it really affected performance. Anybody used anything that works?

kroppe likes this.