THE DITCH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Fur n Fins 1982, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Fished out of port Huron from 7:00pm-9:00pm drifted 3oz bottom bouncers with harnesses red and pink beads chrome or copper blades and punched a 3 man with only a handful of throwbacks good to be back on the river after fishing the Saginaw bay the last month or so just something you can't beat about having the rod in your hand and feeling the bite verses pulling boards either way we are blessed to have this fishery in our state it doesn't get much better

Fishfreak48, Mags, specks23 and 5 others like this.
  2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Not much of fan of trolling myself.. Really can't even tell whats on the end from my experience

3. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Me either it's fun to fill the cooler but after the first few trips doing it I'm burned out on it unless I'm chasing big silver fish

Tryin2 likes this.
  4. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Nothing like almost losing a rod a few times a trip by hungry fish jigging!

5. 1fife

1fife

Doing better than me

Fished port huron in lake(north lighthouse) twice this week. 2 guys and we caught 168 eyes and only 8 keepers(over 15 inches). I would like to remind everyone again, north lighthouse the size limit is 15". I see so many people keeping 13" fish.
    I have fished the area 6 times this year and have yet to see any law out.
    We were jigging.

6. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

We didn't have a boat in sight where we were at and could still see the bridge

7. Walter Redeye

Walter Redeye

You haven't been on a good troll. Watching a 5 pound or bigger walleye take a planer board under like a bobber is pretty fun. And when trolling LSC you never know what you could get. Sometimes I'll switch out harnesses for cranks just to pick up some other species- muskies, big smallies, pike, cats.

Honestly I've gotten bored with jigging and catching 12 to 15 inch walleye. Like reeling up a wet sock.

Gone Coastal likes this.
  8. 6667supersport

6667supersport

They could write a lot of tickets if they went out there on a Friday night. Always used to see boats with only front or back light and sometimes no lights. Remember having a guy start bitching cause we almost hit him, he only had his back light on and it was about 12" tall and with him standing there you couldn't see it. Used to be a zoo up there on the weekends few years back.

scotty-doo likes this.
  9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Get me in on a good one and maybe I'll change my mind ;) my only experience was on saginaw bay and we did boat a few 5#s but couldn't even really feel the weight of the fish until the board was off. And like ya say, it's walleye, not a salmon, musky, or something else that really tugs !

6667supersport and Walter Redeye like this.
  10. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Yep, usually the best part of catching walleye is he beginning and the end. They usually smack the lure pretty good and they sure do taste good after a swim in some hot oil :fish:

Bigrigins, jumbojake, Craves and 4 others like this.
  11. taizer

taizer

Walleye hit hard but after they they are like reeling in dead weight
    The only time you really feel them fight is casting with a light rod and braid

I've cought 5lb fish trolling Erie and dragged them a mile because they don't fight even on braided divers.
    I swear you can see small whitebass shaking the rod over them

12. towner

towner

I love both. Trolling the Bay or jigging SCR is weather dependent for me. Its a 2hr drive for me to both so being retired I can fish the bay on the best days and the under marginal conditions. The best of both worlds.. I love the options we have in this state!

13. Walter Redeye

Walter Redeye

If your talking jet divers - of course they take away from the fight. WITHOUT a fish on those things make it feel like a ten pounder is on the line.

A few weeks back my buddy and I got into a school of nice eyes in the lake. They put up a good fight, not like a king or anything but for walleye pulling the board under and pulling out some drag is pretty impressive.

But I do agree when it comes to "eaters" and trolling - it's just cranking them in.

14. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Slow her down a notch to .08 - 1.2 from Caseville to Port Hope in July 25-40 fow as near bottom as you can get. You will tie into some 30"+ channel and flathead kitty's. 10lb mono and harnesses is all you need. However, I did once have one destroy a #18 Rapala.

15. djbhunter

djbhunter