The Demise of MS Outings

Discussion in 'Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum' started by Whit1, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

The old timers in here will remember back in the day when MS outings were some of the high points of the year. Pheasant hunts....remember the rain Neal...errr! Kneel.............Paul, George, steelhead fishing for a weekend in the Ludington area and Lands Inn stays with a ton of fun in the bar...........the annual Manistee Labor Day weekend fishing tourney, ice fishing on White Lake with a GREAT breakfast beforehand.........Crystal Lake (Benzie County) ice fishing trips. These were very well attended adventures and it gave the participants the opportunity to get to know each other. The last one that I attended was several years ago on the Muskegon R. at Newaygo and marked an anniversary of MS.

This forum used to have several outings going at once and it was hugely popular and well visited.

Hunter333, 6Speed and outfishin_ like this.
  2. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Hey Mr. MIlt!!!!! What the hell you doing up at 4am? How you and old George doing.?

I too attended a couple. Couple here in SE Michigan and one in Baldwin for salmon.

Here we no longer have our meet and greets either.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

3. casscityalum

casscityalum Premium Member

We try to keep them up at the sag bay every year. But I do remember. Lee back when I first joined.

4. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Mike, I get up sometime during the night on most nights and then go back to bed. Both George..........yes he is older........and I are doing well and see each other often, especially in the summer.

I don't do the fishing that I used to, but still rifle hunt for most of the deer season.

Yes, those outings were great fun and brought guys together who might never have known each other.

Hunter333, outfishin_ and Ralph Smith like this.
  5. toto

toto

Yes those were some good times. I can still remember the very first one at Tippy Dam. I would say about 25-30 people showed up, did some fishing, eating, and mostly bsing. Still remember grilling burgers and offering a burger to the CO's who came by. That was a great time as was the Manistee Labor Day outing and the Muskegon outings. Really should find a way to get them going again, it's interesting meeting people who are only just names before that, and not their real names at that.

Anyone remember the Muskegon ice outing? It was pretty cool how the mayor came in a gave a thank you for coming speech.

Hunter333 likes this.
  6. Firefighter

Firefighter

Darkhouse forum guys have several per year. Seems like only the smaller groups have them because of logistical issues.

7. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

And should we mention some of the adventures on the mini-outings that you, George and I have had? No? I understand.

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Outings still do occur on a regular basis with the Saginaw bay ice outing coming up soon. Will you be back in time to attend Milt?

Also the crayfish outing is a large one that is now being held.

Many of the outings are now organized in the forum that pertains to them as opposed to this forum.

The Muskegon ice outing was really cool. I still have a key to the city that was given to me from the mayor.

9. toto

toto

Wish I could attend, but it isn't that easy anymore. I will be up there Oct 27 til the 3rd or something, maybe there can be one then.

10. Neal

Neal

Yep...Monthly Meet & Greets, the old pig roast at Wild Bills, Whirlyball, Tin navy, LSC ice outings, the epic downpour of the pheasant hunt...All great times.

11. Anish

Anish

Crayfish outing gets bigger and better every year :D.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  12. MERGANZER

MERGANZER

Probably fewer because once everyone has a few pops in them someone has to bring up APR, QDMA, DNR or zander and all hell breaks out!!!:rolleyes:

Ganzer

outfishin_ likes this.
  13. Mister ED

Mister ED

The outing with the mayor and key to the city was on White Lake. I think that was the second year there. I think Whit1 got us all kicked out of the bowling alley that night before.:lol: That was the same outing a certain someone lost their brand new (never used by them) ice saw from Sailor, along with high $$ camera & lenses down the hole. We thought he was in the drink, for a little while.

The outing on Muskegon lake was a week or two before or after the last White Lake outing.

Labor Day in Manistee was always a hoot. Brown Blast we used to do every spring, down off St Joe.

We actually had a pike spearing outing last weekend on Cadillac. Third annual ... only 11 of us there (course the temps had been brutal).

14. toto

toto

Splitshot likes this.
  15. Mister ED

Mister ED

That's right ... I could picture him and think of his real first name, just couldn't recall the screen name.

And you are right, the camera case partially floated and someone nabbed it from the hole before going to Davey Jones Locker. But I think I remember Splitshot telling me later that something or another in the case never worked out right again. Still remember Stienfishski and KarlDykema trying to fish out the gear with an aqua view and a jigging spoon with a good treble hook.