The colors of bluegills

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by ausable_steelhead, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I’m not much of a panfish type guy, but I don’t mind them as bycatch while targeting other fish. I’ve been fishing for river walleyes all summer, but have also caught some gills. I only took pics of a few(regretfully), but there have been several really good fish.

What I’ve taken interest to, is the myriad of color patterns on these particular fish. They’re all from the same place, the Au Sable, but completely different colors. I’ve caught both male and female bluegills, but just took pics of males. Even as an adult, I still feel the fun of catching nice gills.

3454DD80-43FC-4314-8F20-94F664EC93CE.jpeg 2F260846-5F07-4B0C-B793-6133D5E49086.jpeg 37F68E8A-E2D9-49AD-A437-04D934739AC2.jpeg 157256D5-4558-4396-8715-4F056E68F039.jpeg

2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Nice ones! I fish a local SE Mi lake and they have similar colors and variation. I missed them this year due to chasing walleye, not gonna happen next year!

slowpaya likes this.

3. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I have often wondered what causes the color change from one lake to another or one area of a lake to a different area on the same lake . The gills coming from HL this year are rose colored real nice color

4. Splitshot

Splitshot

Bluegills change color based on their habitat. Dark bottom dark fish and so on.

6Speed and Musket like this.
  5. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

Those are pretty fish. I believe there are like 20+ subspecies of sunfish. All are beautiful. I’m a fan of the pumpkinseed or big green sunfish.

zzcop302 likes this.
  6. mud

mud

this is the color I like 'em best :D

yum.jpg

7. Elwood454

Elwood454

Males and females are different color. The males have a brighter purple/blue hue. The females are more brownish. Looking at the pictures, the 3rd picture looks like a male and the 4th looks like a female.
    Unlike walleyes the males are more important for population because they stay and guard the nests after the females lay the eggs. Or so I’ve been told.

zzcop302 likes this.
  8. J Sibert

J Sibert

zzcop302 likes this.
  9. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Yep! This lake is the biggest spring fed, natural lake in Georgia and the water is almost black from the cypress trees. So are the bream.

Oh, they all eat great too! Wish we had a place like this here.

IMG_20180720_215456.jpg

10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I was going to add that some of the small lakes I fish the water is dark brown all year from the runoffs of the cedar swamps around them. The gill come out almost black. Still good eating. One beaver pond north of me has some monster gills in it. The only problem they taste like mud. But are sure fun on a fly rod. The water in this pond is clear and this pond has many springs in it

11. J Sibert

J Sibert

Look at that slab!

6Speed likes this.