The 2nd wave may have started

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 22, 2020.

1. wpmisport

wpmisport

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, and family illnesses. We need a vaccine and the sooner the better.

Other news -
    The United States set a daily record for coronavirus cases on Thursday as the number soared past 77,000, topping the previous high set in July, NBC News confirmed on Friday. And the death toll had risen by 921.
    • The Food and Drug Administration has approved remdesivir to treat Covid-19, making it the first and only drug so far to have been greenlighted by the government to combat the coronavirus.

2. piketroller

piketroller

We have two vaccines in production now that will hopefully get FDA approval next month.

3. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Condolences and prayers your way, Lund.

I am probably up to a dozen or so people I know that have contracted Covid. No hospitalizations yet. However, my wife works at a GR hospital and tells me that Covid admissions are up.

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Umm, there were news headlines about EVERYONE, and their Brother moving their investments to Cash, back in late Feb, and March. That is what caused the market to slide precipitously. You didn't need to "time it perfectly," unless your goal is to eek out every cent. But I sure saved a pile of money by moving my investments to cash before the crash really hit. And then I just put it back into mostly stocks to catch the rebound, and made bank. It isn't hard to do, but you have to do it.

5. Fishndude

Fishndude

Sorry to hear about your friend, wife's cousin, and now your Son. I lost an Uncle in Spring.

When I see people not practicing social distancing, and not wearing masks, it is personal to me. They are telling me that my life, and the lives of my friends, and relatives just do not matter to them. There is no other way to see it. I do know a handful of people who recovered, but a couple of them have lingering issues they didn't have before.

The more rural areas of western MI, northern MI, and the UP are suddenly hotpots for covid. With so many refusing to wear masks, it comes as no surprise. Prayers for the Affected, and the Dying.

pescadero, eggfly and zig like this.
  6. jd4223

jd4223

Sorry to hear of your loss and praying for your sons' healing...

7. fanrwing

fanrwing

The whole Covid thing is a screwed up mess. I was scheduled for surgery 2 weeks ago and they had me take a Covid test. I tested positive. The previous weekend our family got together to celebrate my grandson's engagement. They rescheduled my surgery on the assumption that I would be ok. I was told to isolate for 10 days and watch for symptoms, my family members who ended up all testing negative were told to self quarantine for 14 days.
    So someone who tests positive needs to isolate for 10 days but someone who tests negative but was in contact with a positive person needs to isolate for 14 days.
    Two different nurses who handle Covid issues at the area hospitals told me that a while ago they stopped trying to figure out how these decisions are made, they just follow the guide lines as they come down from the CDC and the Health Dept.
    Since I retired I've just cruised along but now I are a statistic.
    Feel bad for 2 people, my granddaughter who can't go to day care for 2 weeks because she played with me and the nice gal who cut my hair the morning before my test, they won't let her work for 2 weeks.

jiggin is livin and d_rek like this.
  8. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Our neighbor tested and the sheet she got told her results in 5-7 days?? Why so long??

She was also told if + she would be contacted as Wuhan is a communicable disease and the health dept follows up on all cases. 12 days later she has not rec a call but is self isolating cause she dont feel good, whatever that means.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Was she positive? I was recently tested. I was told that I would be called by health dept within 24-48 hrs if I was positive. I was told i would not be contacted if i was negative and no news was good news. I was also told if i really wanted to know to call and ask but wait a minimum of 3 days before calling. They said their facility doesnt get negative results as fast as the health dept gets positive results. I called and asked and I was negative. My wife was tested at same place and she was contacted by health dept about 36 hrs later.

Every testing facility has different policies for teat results. They are all getting booked up and policies are changing. My wife had been tested two other times over the sunmer for work. The first time she was given a log in at a lab that her sample was being sent to. She could log in and check her result. The second time she was told no log in at a different facility. It turned out this facility used the same lab and she could use her same log in to find her result out.....the second place had no idea their lab had a login procedure for patients.

wpmisport likes this.
  10. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

You probably already had a few days that was added to the 10 days, when the test came back positive. The ones being quarantined for 14 days need more time for a positive or negative result.

DanSS26 and wpmisport like this.
  11. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Alpha males neither catch nor transmit the virus. Or so I've been told round here. :rolleyes:

12. wpmisport

wpmisport

Just wondering if you have and additional information to support your statement, I am not totally up to speed on the subject. Thanks

I did find this site and there is a lot of good information to take in -

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

On Sept. 17, Moderna shared their protocol for determining if their vaccine was safe and effective. They planned to wait until a significant number of volunteers became sick with Covid-19 and then see how many had been vaccinated. It may take till the end of 2020 or early 2021 to reach the necessary numbers.

Pfizer and BioNTech expect to manufacture over 1.3 billion doses of their vaccine worldwide by the end of 2021.

On Oct. 12, Johnson & Johnson announced it put its trial on pause to investigate an adverse reaction in a volunteer.
    Updated Oct. 12

13. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Seems I heard the same. :rolleyes: There is a few of us out there.:)

FullQuiver likes this.
  14. piketroller

piketroller

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020...n-doses-covid-19-investigational-vaccine.html

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/18/hope...een-rolling-off-production-line-13440956/amp/

Here’s a bit on both Moderna and a Pfizer. Anything that doesn’t help both sides keep fighting doesn’t seem to get press coverage. I missed the Moderna announcement when it came out, but saw the one from Pfizer last week.

The federal government has had a plan for a long time. It’s called Operation Warp Speed with a focus on getting a vaccine as soon as possible. A way to shave off months from the timeline is to take on the financial risk to cover the costs of manufacturing these doses before they are approved in the event the results of phase 3 trials are not positive enough to get FDA approval. These large multinational pharmaceutical companies seem happy to avoid all press coverage because they don’t want to get caught in the political fight.

While we wait for a vaccine, the plan has been to get through it in the short term best we can without completing wrecking the economy. Where hospitals are at or over capacity, the Army Corp has been mobilized to build temporary hospitals.

The overall plan is bear the burden now and end on better overall on the backside. This is the whole flatten the curve philosophy that all levels of government seemed to be in lock step with each other until as a society we figured how to make it political.

My heart goes out to everyone that is at the sharp end of bearing the burden now. Short of a vaccine, personal responsibility is the only thing we have worldwide to slow the spread. We are social creatures which makes this really difficult. As outdoor gatherings in Europe transitioned to indoor gatherings, their second wave took off. It’s now happening in the northern part of the U.S. If we had a national mask mandate, how many people are going to wear them inside their own houses? Thanksgiving is coming up in a month and people should keep the meal limited to their own households and spend the time normally reserved for watching the Lions lose to call all the family members missing from the table.

fishmark, DanSS26 and LuckyBucks like this.
  15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

A national mandate would be a mistake. What is needed in a rabbit warren is not needed on a wide open plain. This is a state issue, leave it there.

Glock1911 likes this.