The 2nd wave may have started

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 22, 2020.

1. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

:lol:

2. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

What kind of test you had will dictate the false negative %'s. Some tests as low as 2% and others as high as 37%, per this linked Harvard article from a month ago. Nasalpharyngeal being the most accurate. That's the one where they tickle your brain through your nose.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

This is why some sports organizations require three consecutive negatives following a positive to clear athletes that they think may have gotten a false positive.

sureshot006 and wpmisport like this.

3. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

Nature does not do “what it wants”. Don’t give nature, or diseases, human attributes. That is as bad as giving human attributes to animals.

B.Jarvinen and pescadero like this.
  4. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Probably worse - at least animals are sentient and some percentage are self aware... so they share significantly more "human" attributes than a virus.

Petronius likes this.
  5. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Writers do that with trees constantly. Was reading a best-seller about “Secret Lives of Trees” recently. First example was a researcher in Germany who noticed a Beech stump in his plots. Eventually after some years he discovered it was still alive, despite a complete lack of branches, twigs, leaves, or new shoots of any kind. Wood was still green under the bark.

He instantly concluded the other trees were rallying around the poor tree that had been cut, and keeping it alive by giving it some of their sugars. Kumbuyah and all that, Nature is so kind and supporting.

I concluded the dead stump was more like your a-hole neighbor who kept splicing into your Cable TV and power lines no matter how many times you disconnect him. Just as valid of a human-esque view, in my opinion.

I quit reading the book at that point.

City_Fish, Petronius and bjacobs like this.
  6. bjacobs

bjacobs

Your post cracks me up. I remember an old timer telling me about 15 years ago that if you want to get a fruit tree to produce that hasn't been producing you need to walk around it revving a chainsaw in the fall. Then the next year it will produce.

As if somehow fruit trees evolved over the last 100 years to know that the sound of a chainsaw equals death. lol

Petronius likes this.
  7. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

That would actually make sense if talking about Aspens, poplars, sumac, or black locust - trees that form clonal colonies.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

No need to get cute, you know EXACTLY what I mean. Nature is in control. ANYTHING we do nature can, and will, over come. We are only along for the ride. Some day, nature will take us out as well.

9. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Beech actually do sprout from roots though not as commonly as other clonal species.

Nature, though, acts on genetic auto-pilot and continual human attempts to assign human motivations to it is silly.

10. wpmisport

wpmisport

Someone comes down with Covid every 1.2 second and someone dies ever 107 second now. That's what ABC news reproted.

11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

How many didn't get the bug and how many didn't die every second? Where's those numbers!

12. wpmisport

wpmisport

The United States population on October 27, 2020 was: 330,505,286.

13. eucman

eucman

I would keep at that book. It definitely has some interesting stuff in it.