close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

that scene with the garlic in the movie Goodfellas

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by B.Jarvinen, Feb 8, 2018.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

I was slicing up some garlic this evening and I remembered one of my favorite scenes in a movie - Goodfellas.

The bulk of the cast all ends up in prison at the same time, and they have things pretty good. With time on their hands, they enjoy themselves via cooking. (some prison)

So the scene I think of the most is a shot of one of the guys slicing garlic with a razor blade. The slice comes off the clove, falls into the warm oil below it, and instantly dissolves.

I have never been able to pull that off when I try it. Have you ever tried it? I have mostly given up, but maybe it's time to give it another go.

2. Debri Mazar and her Tuscan husband has been asked this question many times and she answer it the same each time "the scene was made for TV" not a common culinary practice

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Sure, it wouldn't be common to be so fanatical as to shave garlic with a razor blade. And the older I get, the more I am tempted to just buy the $60 garlic press where you don't even have to peel the cloves you put in it. (Instead I stick with an el cheapo press, or a trusty fillet knife.)

But what I wonder is - can anyone actually shave a clove off that thin, and drop it in the perfect temperature of warm oil to get it to disappear like that? Or .... was it an artificial special effect from the get-go? It sure looks like it _could_ happen.

I just looked it up on YouTube. My memory created an actual memory of the garlic disappearing, but perhaps that is not even shown, just mentioned in the dialog.

4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Cant do it with garlic. But you can make anchovies dissolve in oil with a little stirring. Fabulous way to add flavor to any dish. Try it, even people who hate anchovies love it!

5. petronius

petronius

It might work if you can slice it so it is translucent. You would have to use a double bladed razor blade, a single edge won't work, it is too thick. If the oil is too hot, the garlic will crisp up. The garlic would probably have to be put in a room temperature pan with oil, then the heat turned up gradually.