Testing

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Lake Boy, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Saw in the other thread that was shut that people were waiting days for results.Ergent Care in Ann Arbor as results in about 30 minutes.Daughter and a friend of hers went and got tested yesterday.They had to wait a couple hours to get tested and then 30 minutes for results.Both tested positive.Wife went there last week,about same wait time.About an hour drive for us.Well worth the drive to have results same day IMO.Wife tested negative.Hope this helps.Stay safe.

anagranite likes this.
  2. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

Caution: the point of service option for covid testing is only reliable if the subject has symptoms. If the subject is asymptomatic, the test is useless.

I'm not implying that the center in the OP is doing this, but there are a lot of unscrupulous and unethical providers who are marketing the point of service test for ALL patients, a pure cash grab.

3. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Thanks for that info.All of the people I know had symptoms before being tested.Does anyone know how long we have to stay away from them?I have read 10 to 14 after they are diagnosed.10 to 14 days after symptoms have disappeared.Im not sure.Anyone in the profession know.So confusing.Thanks

4. BILC

BILC

These are the guidelines that were given to me when I was tested. 6B9DB90E-340B-4582-9E09-5F27FCE21060.jpeg

5. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

6. piketroller

piketroller

Quarantine for 14 days if you have a close contact with someone who is or subsequently tests positive. If you have it, then it’s like the picture in the post above - 10 days after symptoms start assuming by day ten you are on the mend.

7. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

Two people at my workplace tested positive, one w/no symptoms the other no symptoms either but when they checked his blood oxygen it was 86% which put him in the hospital on oxygen for the past few days.

8. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

@Lake Boy

A lot of us are going to have exposures to people that test positive.

There is a huge gap in people that test positive and are asymptomatic vs. those that are symptomatic.

There is a significant false positive rate for the rapid antigen test. V.S. the more accurate PCR (polymerase chain reaction test that amplifies the virus.) But the PCR test is taking on average three days to get a result. And after exposure, a PCR test should be done after 5 to 8 days in an asymptomatic person. In a symptomatic person, testing should be done after three days of symptoms in order to prove the case.

The testing issue has a huge gap in timing.

Here is a good article about the timing of testing issue:

vox.com/science-and-health/2020/11/23/21591164/covid-19-testing-travel-accuracy-thanksgiving

This site blocks an active link to the article, saying it has inappropriate content. So not a direct link above but copy it and google search: Your post contains inappropriate content. Please remove the link and submit again.

My take is: test again if you are symptomatic. Be careful with test results if you are asymptomatic. Take precautions for sure. But verify.

Lake Boy and birdhntr like this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I was told by one clinic i went to that the point of service was the only test that could tell you if you had antibodies. That was how they were selling it to me. I had asked my dr and she told me not to get it because it was only about 60% reliable. I did not have symptoms. I was getting the test just because inhad taken care of my wife for 3 weeks who was positive. I wanted to make sure i wasnt before i visted friends and family.

I passed on the point of service test.

10. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

When I had my physical exam recently, I had my doctor include the test for antibodies when they did my blood tests.

Lake Boy likes this.
  11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Its crazy how that works with this virus. My wife had no breathing issues but her oxygen level fluctuated alot. Hers dipped into the upper 80s a couple times and we ended up heading to the hospital once. She was released after 5 hrs.

12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Were you montoring O2 at home?

13. Northernfisher

Northernfisher Premium Member

You can buy a good pulse oximeter

For $ 20 on Amazon Prime

Santamedical Dual Color OLED Pulse Oximeter Fingertip, Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor (SpO2) with Case, Batteries and Lanyard

That a thermometer, blood pressure unit and you are pretty well set to monitor your own vitals.

wpmisport and sureshot006 like this.
  14. birdhntr

birdhntr

I was exposed at work to a person that tested positive.I left work then waited two days and had a nose swab test done.The results a little more than a day later for me was negative.I took a hiatus until this Tuesday.I personally chose this without pay.
    The Forman on the job tried to tell me that the SIL and Daughter after testing positive then took two rapid tests that were negative so all was good and that the first test was negative (a false positive).SMH.
    I didn't buy his pitch for a second and didn't return to that company due to the way they operate.
    I have now returned to my home company(more professional)that was slow this fall.
    A win win for me.Nice to be at my home shop again.Two weeks in a deer stand isn't all that bad.lol.
    Ofcourse two weeks bird hunting would have been even better.

15. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

That clinic needs to be reported to the state. Taking advantage of people's concerns for monetary gain is pathetic.

jiggin is livin likes this.