Tension style releases

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Walt Donaldson, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Just curious if anyone is using these for hunting and what your opinions are. I recently suffered a wrist injury and it caused some nerve damage right where my current release strap is. I'm hoping to get away from the pulling affect the release causes in the area, which results in some pain/discomfort. I guess a thumb release may be another option? I don't have any experience with either.

Thanks!

2. mjh4

mjh4

My friend uses a thumb release and really likes it. I think it's a Scott brand release.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Walt Donaldson likes this.

3. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

Check with Smith34 on thumb release.
    I wouldn't recommend back tension release for hunting. Great for 3D. I think Levi Morgan has a few videos on this subject.

smith34 and Walt Donaldson like this.
  4. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Paging S34, paging S34 to the Archery Forum! Thanks Hollywood!

jr28schalm and d_rek like this.
  5. michael marrs

michael marrs

I am curious as well if you are talking about a back tension, not at all. This year, I am switching over to thumb you can leave it on your bow an is hooked up and ready to go

6. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Without trying them, it sounds like the thumb release may make more sense for hunting. I'm planning to try a few different styles out. Leaving it on the bow sounds appealing to me.

michael marrs likes this.
  7. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I tried a thumb style about 10 years ago. It didn't work out so well for me. I kept triggering the shot before I got to my anchor. Kept hitting my should with the release. It seems I just don't have a neck.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    jr28schalm and Walt Donaldson like this.
  8. 454casull

454casull

Stick, sounds like your DL is/was way too long no neck or not:).

To the OP, I committed to a thumb release three seasons ago and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. You will have to change your anchor and the peep will have to move as well. If you shoot a very short d-loop it may need to grow a tad longer. You must commit, there is no back and forth here; your injury will not allow you either but this commitment applies to all. John Dudley has some good video and a guy on Archery Talk named Padgett has a ton of information on how to "fire" your release. You can be up and ready for this season no problem. Currently I am using a Stan SX3. There are a bunch out there and it is sometimes trial and error as to what will work best for you. Good thing is there are plenty of guys in that position which means the used market is good for both buyers and sellers. Hit up the AT classifieds.

9. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I need to put new strings on my bow as well as upgrading the rest. I suppose now will be as good a time as any to figure this out!

10. michael marrs

michael marrs

Go to youtube to see how one is shot, when you pull it back, your thumb is on the side, and then you rotate your hand so the thumb is on the bottom. A lot of guys like the button at the tip of the thumb, I prefer it in the first joint of my thumb, always the same spot, . Most have trigger tension, and the thumb button can be adjusted. I sent one to my Son, and he was trying to shoot it with the thumb on top, and told me how awkward it was

11. kaler9969

kaler9969

My experience has been similar to 454’s and I agree it has been a positive change. I am shooting a Stan Perfex long neck

12. d_rek

d_rek

I tinkered with a thumb release for a few years but couldn't put the time in to make it work. To what i'm sure is @454casull 's dismay i sold it. It was a scott exxus, but could be customized to be used as a thumb trigger or shot using back tension.

One thing you will need to make sure of is that your draw length is setup properly for a handheld release. Your anchor will change and it's critical that your draw length is long enough to allow you to anchor properly.

13. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Thanks, man! I'll definitely keep that in mind as I need a new set of strings for my bow as well.

14. 454casull

454casull

Ain't no thang....Every body has to shoot what they feel comfortable with, BUT, you have to give things a fair evaluation. The first time I tried a thumb I put it down after two shots and did't touch it again for three weeks, that is how bad my previous case of the YIPs was. The "d" is spot on in regard to draw length but that applies across the board regardless of the release. kaler brings up another point, he is shooting a release with a longer head which will impact your anchor point and quite possibly your DL. Just keep all this in mind when deciding on a release model as they are all different to some degree. Size matters too, Stan has printable actual size 2D renderings of their releases and it does help. I would stay with a 3 or 4 finger, I like the three, have a 4 as well and ended up dropping my pinky out anyway. Phew!!!!! lots to think about but if you commit and get the setup right I almost guarantee you will shoot better.

15. smith34

smith34

Sorry I’m so late to the party, your wife kept insisting on foot rubs!
    I switched to a thumb release last year and love it. Best thing I did was to find a dealer with a good selection of releases (hard to find one that stocks A thumb release, let alone many) because, in the process of trying out all that he had, I realized how individual these releases are compared to the wrist strap style. What I mean about that is what I may think is perfect, may feel like a dog turd in your hand, just simple little things make a big difference in comfort for each individual person. They are not cheap by any means, so getting one you like the first time is crucial when on a budget, then you can pick up a backup cheaper by keeping your eyes on archery talk or other classifieds.
    Grab your bow, some cash, and we can road trip it to holland (Long Range Archery) to see if one fits you or you like it. If you get one there, he will help set up the bow if you need changes (like moving the peep if you use one) Or, if you want to try my Scott sigma, just let me know.