close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. The Downstream Drift

The Downstream Drift

Remember, its just like casting a fly rod. Have a solid stop in your backcast and a solid stop in your forward cast. Also, unlike the 10 & 2 motion with a western fly rod, you will want to use a 12 & 2 motion with your Tenkara. This will help force the line to roll out instead of falling to in a pile on the water.

Oh, be sure to carry a small landing net with you too. Due to the lighter tippet you have to use to protect the rod a net is very important when landing fish.

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

2. twohats

twohats

Thanks for all the info Downstream.I have always enjoyed light tackle fishing,this will take it to an all new level. Sure hope my 3wt dosnt get dusty. I am already considering ordering a Diawa Soyokaze in 9'. :dizzy:

3. Bull Market

Bull Market

You know . . . if we keep this thread going long enough, the mods will have to give us our own 'section' just like the center-pin guys.

4. Horgasz

Horgasz

Gents!

I am one of the guys that DSD run into last year using my Yamame rod on paint creek.
    Great rod for all around.I am using it mostly for Smallmouth Bass fishing.PleaseTry it ,It is a blast.Always use a net to land them.So far have not broke my tip yet.

Attached Files:

5. Bull Market

Bull Market

After looking a a bunch of videos on their website, and others, I can't quite yet figure out what the "presentation" is. Are you fishing dead drift wet flies, or down and across swing, or what?? Do you see a rise on the take, or a "flash" or feel the take. How does all that work with T?

6. Horgasz

Horgasz

Very Simple. When I nymph just cast upstream and "Follow " the line downstream. ALL LINE out from the water just your Tipet in.(No drag) The line is 90 degrees with the water surface.Check out Czeh nymphing system. Very close.You will see your line jumps plus you will feel it in your hands. Lift the tip and hold on.Try to keep your rod handle behind your ears(90 Degrees+) as you see me in the picture.The rod will tire them out.
    Do not forget the net.Your tipet is 4-5 lb.And the bass 2-3lb. If your rod 45degrees or less(after the hook up) the fish will brake your tipet.

Streamer. Just cast out let it sink.and twich it with your wrist.You will see them to chase and strike.Just go and do it. It will come together.
    Hope it helps.

One mor thing. If you snag Just WALK to it.DO NOT USE your rod to free
    your fly.If you can't reach just grab your leader and snap the fly.
    Tie on the next one and keep fishing.

Cheeers H.

7. The Downstream Drift

The Downstream Drift

Yeah, I have to thank Horgasz for my new Tenkara addiction. During the summer I usually stop at the various access sites on Paint Creek just to talk with the anglers that are headed out. I was lucky enough to run into Horgasz and his buddy prior to their Tenkara outing. I went straight home and found the rods online. It has all been downhill from there. :lol:

Bull, I have been using flies that I have tied in the traditional reverse hackle Japanese style. The can be fished either as wet flies or dries, depending on what hackle I use to tie them with.

When fishing them as a dry I simply try to keep as much of the line off the water as possible. The cool part about this is that on the downstream end of your drift you can actually make the fly dance on the water surface like a fluttering caddis. This is when I have gotten most of my dry fly takes. The trout just can't resist a fluttering caddis.

When I'm fishing a wet fly I again try to keep as much line off the water as possible. The traditional technique for fishing these flies wet is to slowly twitch the tip of the rod. This means that you are putting some action to the fly and it is not really a dead drift. What this does is make the reverse hackle pulse in the water making the fly appear "alive". At the end of the drift I slowly lift the fly to the water surface to imitate an emerger. Trout know this is when a bug is most vulnerable to they are apt to smash into a fly on the lift.

If you plan to use a Tenkara to Czech nymph with be sure to get a rod that is pretty stiff. These rods are rated in a 5:5, 6:4 or 7:3 flex. What this means, for example, is that a 7:3 rod is stiff for 70% of the rod and the top 30% of the rod is where the flex is. So, for Czech nymphing a 7:3 flex is the best option. The Fountian Head 13ft Stonefly and the Tenkara USA 12ft Yamame work very well for this technique.

Again, this has potential to be another fishing "sickness" that will take over your fly fishing. Hence the reason I have been researching a Tenkara rod to use for the spring steelhead run. I have found a Tenkara Universal rod to do this. It's 15ft long, has a 7:3 flex and I will most likely use 22-25ft of line on it. I'm excited for this challenge, provided I can find some wading boots made by Nike. :lol:

By the way, here is a video of a guy fishing steelhead in British Columbia with a Tenkara style rod. The rod is something like 20ft long and he is using almost 35ft of line. After you watch the video you will realize why I am looking for one of these rods to attempt to fish for Kings on the Manistee. :)

http://tv.shimano.co.jp/movie/tv/paradise_06/

8. twohats

twohats

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Diawa Soyokaze in 9' :dizzy: as well. Guess I will have it covered now haveing the Iwana 12' and the other. I just love the idea of such simple fishing and the telescopeing rods. Its the simple things in life that are the best.

9. REG

REG

Looks very similar to European pole fishing.

10. twohats

twohats

Got out with the Daiwa Soyokaze 9' for some pond fishing. Used a Sakasa Kebari #14,caught a hand full of small gills and a bonus 10" largemouth.WOW! what a blast with that buggy whip of a rod. It took a few min. to get the casting down and use to the limited casting distance.But I am hooked and had so much fun with it.Now to try out the Iwana 12' for some smallmouth.

11. Yamahasnowmobiler

Yamahasnowmobiler

do you use the kebari fly for our Michigan small stream brookies and browns? do you have any tips for a novice?

12. Dr. François

Dr. François

I bought the 12' Fountainhead Caddis Tenkara rod and a $10 crappie pole (Tenkara style) from Amazon. The Caddis and I had an unproductive (but fun) day on a nearby creek yesterday. More mammals than fish.

Today, I took both rods to a local pond to work on technique. Man...that was a lot of fun. Smallmouth bass and panfish everywhere.

Both rods worked well with smaller game, but the Caddis is much smoother and more sensitive. You can feel every nibble in the handgrip.

This is a fun way to fish!

13. Huron Heron

Huron Heron

There doesn't appear to be much conversation of late on this Tenkara thread. I received a 12' Tenkara Iwana for my birthday from my son a few years ago. I love the simplicity, feel, and performance. I've been fishing on and off on the Huron but not much this year because of travel for work. That said, the best thing about my Tenkara is that it is easy to travel with and this has allowed to me fish some very nice streams/rivers, namely the Kings and the Kern River in the Fresno region. Also some good fishing near Marquette. I'm not having much luck this year on the Huron. Any one fished the Huron and could offer some advice on fly for early fall?

14. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

I am going to get one soon. As you mentioned the portability will be awesome for me.

15. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

A guide out of Rose City uses a Tenkara for hex and has a blast. Bought it at Frank's but that's all I know. I'll try to find out more.