3K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  Chromelander 
#1 ·
KOTIMAKI (Captain)
Chromelander
dirtyfowlmouth
goosebandit2
samrob
Sewey

The captain might have to be the one to start our team thread, but I'm getting antsy! Especially after being cooped up in the house now due to the pandemic, and it's only been 3 days!

Who's getting some scouting in for turkey season? What season are ya'll going to hunt? Anyone trying with a bow or going with the scatter gun?

I have cameras out but no cards in them from my last pull during deer season, need to get out and fire them up to see where the turkeys are. I'm going to hunt the ZZ tag this year again and try to take one with the bow since the season is longer now.

#5 ·
Thing's looking good for you Sewey by the sounds of it ... My birds don't show up for a cpl weeks yet , kinda strange but been like this for years
That's interesting, I see birds around here all year long. Saw 9 in a field last night while on a run, and just watched about a half dozen move through the orchard across the street from my office window.

It's about time I get the calls out and start practicing. I normally use time in the truck to practice, now I'll have to go out to the barn otherwise I'll end up sleeping in the truck! lol

#9 ·
I haven't got a tag yet and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. We are closing in a house and 40 acres in scottville. Between manistee and ludington. I drove by our new place yesterday and saw a tom 2 hens and a jake so im getting pretty excited. The bad thing is between the tags for up here in mason county isn't really good for one back home in washtenaw. I haven't looked at the book real hard but I'll come up with a plan soon. I'm sure I'll be driving back to washtenaw to hunt. My wife told me last night she is ready to start hunting again since we will have our own place. After the second kid she temporarily retired. Both Tom's she got she was extremely pregnant lol. Lots going on and ready for turkeys

#13 ·
I just picked up my tag yesterday. Had to go-to Walmart ad deal with that crowd. Glad I did cause now they are limiting the number of people allowed in the store at one time. Got the zz hunt and if the governor won't let us work I can chase that old longbeard every day! The other day they where gooble'n pretty good as it was getting light. Can't wait!!

#14 ·
[QUOTE="Chromelander, post: 8197779, member: 66542 I can chase that old longbeard every day! The other day they where gooble'n pretty good as it was getting light. Can't wait!![/QUOTE]
Just heard my 1st gobble this morning out back may have to ck trail

#20 ·
Saw a real nice bird this morning coming off our new property we are trying to close on. That is suppose to be the 30th now. Headed for down state to get my truck and check over a roost I can see from the road and as I pulled up I could see a bird fly up. I glasses for a second and saw 4 birds but I couldn't tell what they were because I left my good binos in pentwater lol. I'm gonna go scout hard in the morning and see what I can find. Seeing a lot of birds that's for sure

#22 ·
Doesn't feel like turkey season here. Must have 3 inch's of fresh snow! It should melt by tomorrow. I went out yesterday and made sure my gun was still on, all good, shot at 25,40 and 55 yards. 45 yards max I think. From what I saw a few weeks ago in the fields we got lots of birds to choose from so this season I'm going to be picky seeings as how I'm not going back to work any time soon. I really want to see if I can sneak up to one with a fullstrut decoy and shoot one. Good luck to everyone tommorow!!

#24 ·
Well anybody kill one yet? Opening day I was real close. Set up on some as day broke but when they flew down from the roost they went the away from me. No real chance to get in front of them cause they were already off the property. But I had 2 other Tom's gobbling there heads off all morning from a long ways off. Finally after a couple of moves I got one to come over and take a peek. He scanned the ridge I was on and couldn't see my decoy so he went back to his hens. Then that was it for the morning.
Yesterday was slow, Hunted from 9 till noon and only saw a couple of hens.
This morning I went to a different roost and had 3 or 4 gobbling but couldn't get them to come looking till around 9:30 or so. Not even interested in my decoys, heck they weren't even interested in the hens nearby. Still scratching my head on that one. After a hour of not seeing anything I get up to head in and a Jake goes flying off. Figures. beautiful morning to be out so I'm not complaining. Good luck out there team!!

#25 ·
I’m out now for an evening hunt and haven’t seen or heard anything. I was set up in a transition zone between a field and roost I know they use, but last minute called an audible with an hour of shooting time left and came to a field I want to hunt in the morning. At least I got some practice tearing down and setting everything up, leaving the blind over night to save time and effort tomorrow. Almost time to pack up now and I’ll be back tomorrow with higher hopes.

Aviation Air travel Leisure Aircraft Automotive exterior

#26 ·
Sunday morning had one gobbling and coming in he hung up at 60 yards, hen pulled him off.other than that been dead sat thru a 10 min white out this morning , haven't heard nor seen a bird. The way the weather has been and the May forecast glad the 301 hunt runs through out

#32 ·
Anyone been out lately?

I took a stroll yesterday evening with the shotgun and setup near a roosting spot I know of, didn't hear or see a bird. Weather hasn't been ideal, and looking at more rain the next few days. Been wanting to get some more morning sits in, but with a 2 week old I'm averaging about 3 hours of sleep right now. Going to try and get some more morning sits in as I haven't seen any action after 10am on the hunts I have been on.

Good luck all! Hope to see some birds hit the dirt soon.

#33 ·
Ok quick run down I've been crazy busy actually closing in our place today. I hunted the first Saturday and Sunday and didnt kill a bird. Saw over 50 birds. 12 different Tom's and 3 different smokey grey hens. It was a good 2 days. Lots of close calls and mistakes. Plus I got attacked by a skunk. Went back home last Thursday night to get our check for our new place and got out friday to hunt. After a long day I did connect on a bird. Nothing special and I havent got but one pic right now but when I get a minute I post the story and write a huge bunch to bother you all with. I will say it was another great hunt with a good good buddy. This is the only pic I got right now. More later on

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.