TEAM 9 thread 2017/18

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by zer0, Dec 1, 2017.

1. zer0

zer0

zer0 checking in.
    No ice accumulation from Oscoda to Flint, and I'm wondering how things fare further north. Andy and Mitch, how is the forecast looking for the NLP?
    Mars, I'm hoping to see you out on the ice again this season! Been wondering how your electric chainsaw is going to do through the ice. Seriously, I gotta see that in action!

2. mitch h

mitch h

Forecast is looking better!
    Hardshack is on the trailer ready to roll!!!!

3. zer0

zer0

Cant wait to get my gear out on and start stabbing!
    Every season I have 3 goals. Spear new waters, meet other people that spear, increase my personal best fish.
    Does anyone else have some things they want out of this season?

4. RLWagner

RLWagner

Just awaiting some safe ice here in the SE. Had some good skim for a bit, but the warm front killed it. Starting Wednesday, the high will be 30. Hope to be on ice in a couple weeks providing MA nature cooperates.

Nabbed a couple new dekes to try this year and a wind chime machine as well. Nit to mention the dekes Jason may put in the mail soon LOL

The ice saw and tongs are ready. I will need to add a dowel to the shack to hang dekes reels from, seen a great vid here one of the members posted that has given me a few ideas to proceed with.

Let the games begin

5. one more

one more

Name is Andy, I’ve been staring down the darkhouse spearing hole since I could stand so have probably 35+ years under my belt and still learn something new every year. Dad had a 2x4 that lowered down and locked in front of me as a darkhouse seatbelt. Lotta good memories from spearing with Dad and grandpa and now my two boys.
    I pretty much stick to iosco and Alcona counties as well as the bay. Just skim ice here but it should lock up quick starting next week with highs barely breaking freezing point, then even colder from there. I probably spend half my season on the ausable and parts of it freeze pretty early. I should be on ice middle of the month based on the forecast.

6. one more

one more

I’ll probably make it down by you once zero. Buddy lives on a private lake by Fenton. He doesn’t spear but that won’t stop me from doing it. It normally doesn’t freeze good so haven’t been on it the last two years but three years ago we had two break offs on tip ups scouting it out, they were big fish. Hope it freezes this year.

7. zer0

zer0

Let us know when you are coming down, Marrs and I seemed to run into each other a half dozen times on Lk Fenton last season. It is always nice to put another face to the name here in the darkhouse forum.

8. RLWagner

RLWagner

Keep me posted as well. Living in White Lake, I am a half hour away as well, and do hit that same area from time to time.

9. michael marrs

michael marrs

hey its me the Martian, looking forward to a long season of stabbin1

zer0 and RLWagner like this.
  10. zer0

zer0

Does anyone have a large stable of deekes and would like to do a trade for a spear?

Ive been fabricating spears lately, but my decoy stable is leas than stellar and made up of bear creek workers. Looking for wood or resin decoys

11. mitch h

mitch h

Message sent!

12. zer0

zer0

Rlwagner. Did you pick up that flexseal from the Rural King on M-59?
    Thinking of redoing the blackout on my 949 hub. Sounds like the devil is in the details, making the prep work before spray to be key . The black out on that hub is pretty much toast.

13. RLWagner

RLWagner

The new stuff is from Rural King at 59 and 23. Have not tried it yet. One of my other three hubs is a clam, and it has blue interior. Sucks for any kind if sight fishing. Going to try some fabric spray paint on that one some day.

14. zer0

zer0

I have a eskimo 949 that pretty much disintegrated the blackout lining in a half season. The manufacturer replaced me with an upgrade of the 949i, which is awesome. They allowed me to keep the standard 949 for repair parts. I'm interested in how a flexseal renewal or fabric spray turns out.

15. RLWagner

RLWagner

Used it on pop up deer blinds with positive results.