Team #6 Deep 6'S

Discussion in '2020 Pinefarm Memorial Deer Hunting Contest' started by snortwheeze, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Baybum

Baybum

Looks like its about go time. Ill be out tomorrow. Grabbing cam and gonna hunt there regardless, kind of think cam is gonna have dead batteries anyway. About the worst wind, I'm gonna be walking in with the wind at my back the whole way. Good thing about never having a stand or blind, I'm pretty sure I can figure out a way to set up. Very confident in my scent control also. Only 2 deer have got my scent in about 6 years. One 2.5 buck at 20 yards and one big ol swamper doe at 35 with a very steady wind right at her....neither spooked hard either just altered course. I can slip in and find a set up once I'm there for the wind. Very excited to get into this section. I'm seeing some tenders off a fat doe hitting the cast iron about 11pm tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Hope so BB ! Good luck. I heard chasing for 15 minutes straight yesterday evening could of killed a little dink 10×s over and seen a hell of a buck with his nose to the ground 250-300 yards out.. Unfortunately can't go anywhere in there with an east wind. Have kiddo duty or I'd be going for a buggy ride on the state land.
    It's getting time now. Off the phone with my cousin and he had chasing grunting, you name it from 3 till dark yesterday.. No shots fired for him though.

3. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

Just checking in things been little slow with just dinks seen. This morning was good with action a lot of grunting and youngsters as late as 11am moving. Good luck all my vacation starts on Wednesday so will start hunting hard then.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I'll be patiently waiting for a SW wind to make a set where I "think" I might have a chance at that bruiser I seen. Could set up with a north wind too but don't think I'll have near enough cover to make it happen. Not gonna wheel down there and get my scent everywhere just to find out... Called the homeowner to let him know there's an "Edison" buck on the property. Hope he don't decide to sit his tent with a north wind it'll blow right at where I think he's coming from.

The alligator slide is where it's going too happen !! Be my biggest yet with a bow If I can make it happen :)

Baybum likes this.
  5. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Checked out some new state ground with my brother. Where he wanted to get me I couldn't make it, downed trees. On the way out at 4 I seen these, one at 33 yards and one at 41 yards with a hot run going to em. I was excited seeming the leaves were falling and these were without a leaf... had to happen some time during the daylight today. Set behind some brush on the buggy and had my brother cut me a whole to shoot through..

Wind in my face, perfect.. Glad I'm not a betting man. Not a deer. Wind stays west I'll be out in a.m.
    20201026_161435.jpg 20201026_161405.jpg

6. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

What's up gents ? Hunted this a.m. last year's doe pushing her luck ! 3rd time she's given me chip shots.. No idea I'm there. Just can't put her over 100#s.
    Tomorrow is the SW wind I'm waiting for. :)
    Can't hunt the a.m. because I haven't made a spot to hide over there yet. I'll be in early 2 o'clock or so. Hope to have good news tomorrow evening guy's ! Good luck on your vacation starting tomorrow spitfire ! We need some more points before the guns start banging. Best 2 weeks begin now :)
    20201027_090903.jpg

Swampdog467 likes this.
  7. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

20201029_114643.jpg

This is the guy I Seen, told ya he was big !! I'll be living in the apple orchard so long as it's a south, southwest wind. All I can do is pray homeowner doesn't hunt it without knowing how his wind is going to affect a deer of his caliber !! I cut his track on the way down to the "alligator slide" yesterday evening. Didn't see a deer down there or hear one cross the river either. Got back up the house and Mike tells me he hunted down there and got blown at a few times.... This guy was on here 2 days ago :) I've got does upon does upon does... Do I play it safe and stay back at the orchard or do I make a move and wheel all over property to try and play the wind right ?? This will make my 2 biggest look like babies..

Swampdog467 likes this.
  8. Baybum

Baybum

Damn snort....I dont think we are quite at the throw all caution to the wind and attack point but its getting close. Good luck with him.

I still can't get away from work. The last few weeks tho have been by far the most profitable stretch in my life tho so I cant complain.

Been shooting quite a bit still. New to me hoyt is damn near hitting extension of arm status. Crossbow was off...like a decent amount. Not sure when or how that happened. I'm a little worried scope mount is getting loose. I'll address that before wife or I take it out.

I might not be out until early next week, but then I'll be locked in for another sprint stretch. I'll get my other 7 points on the board by 11/14! I almost always get a deer early season and one during late october/early november. Years i don't get one early i double or triple up during the rut.

snortwheeze likes this.
  9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Sound like my uncle that's 72.. says he can't retire right now. He's made more $ this year then he's ever made his entire life. Economy is bad though ;)....
    Sounds like I'll play it safe for now. What I was leaning towards anyways. Rather be safe then sorry. If I had my buggy in there I think I could figure him out just that little bit more. Homeowner is all over on the tractor all the time, they're used to commotion. My chair on the other hand that's leaving a lot of scent and covering not a lot of ground. All I can do is Hope guy's ! Does are off the board for now.. I'll try and take one sometime with the bow but not now, not after seeing him. They're safe, live decoys.

10. Baybum

Baybum

My work is about to dry up to a trickle. Getting it while the gettin's good then ill go find some other work. Just like finding some deer.

I WILL NOT be working except quick little stuff after this weekend tho until gun season. Its go time. I got deer waiting for me to come kill them in 2 brand new areas, and there's a bunch more waiting for me elsewhere. I cant wait until next week and going hunting crazy for 12 days. Best 2 weeks of the year are upon us!

11. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Back home to Michigan, Van Buren and Iosco
    I haven't hunted nearly as much as I would like this year. Nothing on the board yet. Wife, grandson and I made a trip to our camp in Iosco last weekend. Wife had a shot and hit a limb, we didn't see much, think the neighbors to the west are baiting pretty heavy. Hopefully this weekend will be better here at home, if not we are headed north again next weekend. Just about anything is fair game, I need some fresh meat!

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Baybum and snortwheeze like this.
  12. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Suppose the best bet would be cut em off on the way to the neighbors bait. I hear ya about meat I've got 2#s of burger.... I've always heard stories of guy's killing a doe then a buck afterwards :) maybe I'll change my mind, there's plenty of doe.

Headed out tomorrow to state land with the brothers. We're boating in and they say they'll get me someplace good. We'll see when I get there. Never know what to think with these guy's we've had some adventures ! Iosco where about? 2 of my uncles, an aunt, and a cousin all have cabins in South branch. My grand parents owned one as well. Off of 65 just north of the bear store, rollaways rd. Trail I crashed my dirt bike on actually.
    Cut my teeth hunting up there. #s are no where near when I was a kid. Hard to even make the drive up but I LOVE my uncles cabin and hunt camp

Swampdog467 likes this.
  13. Baybum

Baybum

Ive dealt with that. Heck I've had lease partners, for that matter I in the past have been....a master baiter. It can be tough but deer do deer stuff more in daylight then the time they sit on a bait pile. Theres still plenty of mast and browse....and bedding and social sites. Good luck tho because I know from experience some deer will just bed by a bait pile and move in right at dark. My experience was always the 2.5 and bigger deer do not on the regular.

Swampdog467 likes this.
  14. Baybum

Baybum

I love this plan! Sounds like a riot! I'd hunt with you and your brothers anytime. Good luck! .

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. buktruk

buktruk

They're cutting the corn at my place. My boys may be out in the morning. Then the oldest and I are headed to Ohio for a few days. Once I'm back it's time to get serious. We've kept the pressure light and we are steadily gaining bucks. Only 1 shooter for me so far but hoping that'll change soon.

Baybum and snortwheeze like this.