Team #18 - Barely Legal

Discussion in '2020 Pinefarm Memorial Deer Hunting Contest' started by Pier Pressure, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

2. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

A few from my one card pull this season. Pics from 2 spots but most were on a small water hole during hot weather... 0FA620AF-8730-475F-B3E7-C207F8DF2EA2.jpeg D94FEC6C-6205-43E1-A6F6-9EECF06768E4.jpeg CFB7D734-FCC5-4FCC-B291-B1172FE03661.jpeg 8C518F41-F7E7-45CF-9EDF-D899DBC1DC5F.jpeg 070A7AAE-192E-43E5-8B1F-E37A767AAE07.jpeg

TheMAIT likes this.

3. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

Makes me think I shoulda put a better camera on that spot.

4. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Hi,

My name is Cameron. I hunt Jackson County and Arenac County with archery and firearm equipment. Not much on camera this year so far but that isn't unusual. Generally the backs show up in mid October and stay until January.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

TheMAIT and Pier Pressure like this.
  5. dafalls

dafalls

I was hoping to get up to Newberry to check my camera up there this week but work got in the way. Things are looking good at a friends property in Alpena County that I bow hunt at. Still a bunch of does at my Presque Isle property.

6. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

Hello team!
    Sorry I am late to the party. I just got home tonight from a two week elk hunt in Montana.

My name is Danny. I live in sterling heights and have hunted Barry County my whole life until I married my wife and I'll join my FIL on his place in Calhoun. I hunt all seasons with any weapon. I unfortunately don't own my own land, but maybe one day.

I have not shot a nice buck in I think 15 years now? I'm more of a let him go and grow type. Meat is my main goal so I'm always good for doe points.

Pier Pressure and TheMAIT like this.
  7. bigfishcatcher3

bigfishcatcher3

Welcome back Danny. Details on the elk hunt please. What part of the state did you hunt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

Yeah, I wanna hear more about that elk hunt too!

9. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

I was more western central part of the state north of Bozeman. For my buddy and I it was one for the books. He shot a spike the first evening which put a lot of the pressure off us. We seen 3 bulls within the first 3 days that were over 300". Problem is with the area is as soon as those bulls see more people and get bumped twice they run to the private land and don't come back. We seen elk every day which was great. I got a shot on day 6 at a decent satellite bull. He was about 30-35 yards but I smacked a branch i didn't see. The pins had a clear window but my arrow trajectory did not. That's archery hunting. The next day I let a spike walk off at 30 yards. We were in a good spot and figured I would of had another chance. We came close two more times but it didn't pan out for me. We hiked a lot of miles. There was a 13&12 mile day, and averaged about 8 miles a day.
    The picture is my buddies spike. It was his first archery elk. Watching the whole thing happen was amazing! Super happy for him. [​IMG]

10. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

Oh and don't let that picture fool you on that mountain side. It was pretty steep. We ended up ranging the angle of it and it was about 26° uphill. That doesn't sound like a lot until your packing it uphill. We were a touch over 2 miles from camp. In the end you end up enjoying the suck.

TheMAIT likes this.
  11. TheMAIT

TheMAIT

Awesome job-congrats to your buddy! Sounds like a great adventure-one I am hoping to do soon!

12. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

This is my 5th season and 3rd in a row. I will continue to go yearly as long as I can afford the diy trip. If you got the camping gear you can do the trip fairly cheap.

13. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I really need to do that someday.

TheMAIT likes this.
  14. TheMAIT

TheMAIT

So you are up for volunteering to lead Team 18 on a DIY elk hunt next year, then?lol
    I'm trying to building points in Wyoming but am willing to go anywhere I have a realistic shot of bringing home some meat.

15. dlawrence1

dlawrence1

I have been building points for Wyoming as well. I have two points and in another 2-3 years going to apply. Parts of Wyoming can be tough and other parts are covered in grizzly. Pick a general unit in Montana and doing enough research you can get on elk. I've walked into places knowing nothing about em and had success. I really feel if I can do it most can too.

TheMAIT likes this.