Team #17...."Drop The Hammer!".... Official Team Thread

Discussion in '2020 Pinefarm Memorial Deer Hunting Contest' started by HUBBHUNTER, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge

We got these pics during last night and today. We have 2 shooters (a big 8 & 10 pt) on the property for sure and a couple other maybes I want to see in person. The problem is they are nocturnal and the only time we get a pic in shooting light is right at day break as they head back to bedding. South west wind in the AM works great for tomorrow’s stand. I’ll be out in the morning though and kids soccer game tomorrow night. Good luck guys. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

vincke07, Hoytman5 and Craves like this.
  2. hicky40cmu

hicky40cmu

Some nice bucks there Dan and Hubbhunter! And they are in day light... jealous over here.

3. Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge

So over the years I have tried different food plots. I use to plant about 6 acres behind my house to a variety of options and see what they liked the most. I could watch the 6 acres from my bedroom window. I’ve tried oats/rye/ winter peas, just rye, just winter wheat, white clover and rye, sunflowers, crimson clover, turnips/radishes/rape, alfalfa, and this year I planted 2.5 acres of alfalfa with white clover in it surrounded by 100 acres of corn. I planted the 6 acres with that push spreader 2 yrs in a row as well as fertilized with the push spreader. From your guys experience, which food plots worked the best for you?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Hoytman5 likes this.
  4. Craves

Craves

I buy a mix from Washington Elevator in Washington Mi called " The Groundbreaker Mix".

This is a mix of ground hog radish & Austrian winter peas. I add soy beans, some greens beans, packer peas, and clover.This year I made one section of the plot buck forage oats. I also over seeded with some cereal rye. Going into this year, I tore up what was left of some really old clover and basically started the plot over. In my opinion, this is the best plot I have grown just on shear amount of food provided.

I planted a speckled alder on the edge of the plot a few years ago, and kept it protected with a cage. Last year I left it open, and it got tore up. I didn't think the tree would make it, but it is growing great. They have not got after it yet so far this year. I also had a huge scrape under some dog wood next to the plot...they used the dogwood as a licking branch(es). Here are a couple of pictures of the alder. 20191029_174316.jpg 20191029_174308.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Hoytman5 likes this.
  5. Craves

Craves

Here is a picture of the scrape & a couple of rubs that were around the plot last year. Resized_20191123_111138.jpeg Resized_20191123_111014.jpeg Resized_20191123_111026.jpeg

6. Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge

I’ve read a lot of great things about planting speckled Alder but have never done so. Are you getting new trees growing up by the 1 you planted?

I planted about 400 trees on my property. Mostly Norway Spruce, maple and fruit trees but no speckled alder yet.

7. Craves

Craves

I am not...the alders I have I either purchased from the late Scott Bishop or a tree I dug up.

The tree in the picture is producing seeds...looking forward to some new trees springing up.

8. vincke07

vincke07

D22C25B3-D552-4AE5-9164-DB2DAA65C7C5.jpeg Nothing this morning at home, set up in Maple River Sga now. Here is a pic of one of the plots since I probably won’t see anything tonight. Corn on the left, Rye, Oats, wheat in middle, brassicas on right. Also have a failed sorghum crop right of the brassicas. Had a plugged tile this spring and it drowned them out.

9. Craves

Craves

Didn't hunt today with the funky weather, but I will be out in the morning.

10. Dan Jr

Dan Jr

Any updates from the stand this week?- This cold front has my brain stuck in hunt mode...

Need to live vicariously through my teammates until next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. Oak Ridge

Oak Ridge

Opening morning I saw a real nice buck and 6 point out of range.
    Last night I saw an 8 pt and spike.
    This morning I saw nothing.
    Tonight my wife had to work so after dinner I got the boys ice cream and drove around looking at deer.

How’s everybody else doing?

12. Craves

Craves

Didn't hunt yesterday with the funky weather. Didn't see anything this morning...I'm blaming the full moon!

Tonight I had 2 deer crunching acorns about 50 yards from me. Didn't get a great look at them due to darkness, but I think it was a doe & fawn.

Be back out in the morning.

13. vincke07

vincke07

46751F9E-B6CA-4C81-8043-4B10D539BDBD.png Pretty sure this one is 3.5 +. I would take him given the opportunity.

Another pic of the 10 that I wouldn’t have to think about.
    E9854CB4-FE58-4037-AC32-75EB2FAE947A.jpeg

Oak Ridge, Craves and Dan Jr like this.
  14. Dan Jr

Dan Jr

Wow Vincke - Hope that last big boy shows back up for you in daylight in a few weeks.

15. Craves

Craves

No luck for me this weekend.

Got a picture of what I think is a nice 2.5 year old plus some young bucks. FB_IMG_1601862622360.jpg FB_IMG_1601862637303.jpg FB_IMG_1601862650536.jpg FB_IMG_1601862659301.jpg

Dan Jr likes this.