Team # 16 - Ruptured Bloodsteam!

Discussion in '2020 Pinefarm Memorial Deer Hunting Contest' started by protectionisamust, Sep 17, 2020.

1. short stick

short stick

Congrats on a nice buck. Cant wait to hear about it, Always like a good story.
    Going back up to deer camp Wednesday for 5 days, weather looks like its going to be nice with no rain. hope the deer movement starts to pick up, I know we still have a 10 pt running around that would be great to put a tag on. Good luck everyone hunting and be safe.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    WillHunt4Food likes this.
  2. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

CONGRATS!!

3. WillHunt4Food

WillHunt4Food

So Saturday Morning was the first time I got out into the woods after 8 days of not hunting, which is unheard of for me. However, I was out there Saturday morning. October 24th. Big cold front. Yes, please.

I hunted behind my parents place in the morning. I really didn't see much for deer. I only saw 3 deer. All 3 of them were bucks. Two spike horns and a half rack buck. The half rack buck walked passed me with one of the spikes following his footsteps. I had about 30 seconds between seeing him to deciding if I was going to shoot. I had drawn back and had him perfectly broadside at 19 yards, just couldn't give myself the green light to stop him and pull the trigger. I was tempted. If he would have had a matching side, he would've been 120". Nice main frame 4 side with a split "v" at the top of his G2, but his left side was completely busted at the base. Hopefully the neighbors will have mercy on him and we'll get to see what the other side looks like next year.

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon helping out a relative retrieve a state land deer and then running to the local sporting goods shop. I got home and realized that the new quiver that I had bought didn't come with the right brackets, so I decided to run back over to the shop and get it resolved today since they were closed on Sunday. I didn't think I'd get it resolved soon enough to sneak out, but when I got back to my truck and started driving, I realized that I could get out for a 90 minute sit at my property and at the least pull memory cards that I hadn't checked in a couple weeks.

I pulled into my driveway. Got dressed and walked to the stand. On the way in, I bumped a doe and a fawn that were standing under my tree. Not awesome. But at that point it was what it was, so I climbed into the tree, knocked an arrow and sat down at 5:40pm.

I sat there playing on my phone and messing around, not really expecting to see much until real close to dark, especially after bumping those two deer on the way in. I happened to look up at my 2 o'clock and see a buck about 40 yards away walk out into my field/food plot. He stood on the edge and fed on clover while I glassed him to make out exactly what caliber of deer he was. When I made the decision that he was an arrow worthy adversary, the game began. I grabbed my grunt call and gave out a few soft grunts. He immediately stopped feeding a looked over his back right towards me. He stood there staring for a minute or so and then started walking directly away from me to the end of my field. I grunted a couple more times while he walked, but to no avail. When got to the edge of field, he stopped, got on his hind legs, worked a branch and dug a scrape. When he got done digging, I hit him with another couple grunts. He ripped his head back towards me again and stared for another minute or two. He then moved up the edge of the field another 10 yards and dug another scrape. At this point, I was thinking that I would probably have to try a last resort of snort wheezing at him once he got into the edge of the woods. But I didn't have to do that. He finished his second scrape, turned on a dime and walked right straight to me. I was able to draw while I had some cover between us and he turned to walk along the edge of the field. He grunted a few times looking for that other deer. I stopped him at 15 yards and let him have it. He wheeled back into the center of the field and ran right through one of his freshly dug scrapes and into the woods with the gracefulness of a bulldozer. I knew he was toast.

He ended up running about 175 yards, which surprised me. This is the second buck that I've shot on my new property in the 3rd season that I've hunted it. First one with a bow.

4. short stick

short stick

Nice buck and story! Congrats on a great buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

5. quick406

quick406

Great buck and story!! Congrats, let’s keep stacking up some points!!

6. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Congrats!! Im leaving work and headed back north again for 3 days. We will see what happens! Hope my luck changes around

7. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

I believe the buck i shot is still alive! I swear this is him tending a doe 300 yards away.

Attached Files:

Lumberman likes this.
  8. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Another pic

Attached Files:

9. WillHunt4Food

WillHunt4Food

Hopefully that's him! Looks like you're still in the game. Keep after it team - Now is the time of the year where anything can happen.

I will be off work for the next week trying to fill that last buck tag with a bow. If not, I've got all of gun season off this year too.

10. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Shot one tonight fellas at 5.30. Backing out until the am. Long story short, buck came in, worked a scrape, i shot him quartering too right through his shoulder halfway up at 10 yards. He mule kicks, runs 60 yards stops and lays down. I thought hell ya!!! Sitting and watching the area, to my surprise, at 6pm, he stands up and half lays and half falls back down. Then nothing. Im starring like a hawk. I see no.movement in the crp foe the next hour. At 7pm, i start to creep down. I quietly looked for my arrow but didn't see it quick but i know i hit him. I walk backwards, 5 yards, shine in its direction nothing. I walk 5 more yards, i shine, i see him stand up, huff a couple times and fall back down. I shut my lighy off and walked out. Im going to let him lay the night. 27 degrees tonight so plenty cold tonight. Hes most lilely dead now but my luck lately, im not raking chances.

This one was my first sit in my port sanilac property. Its a small crp land surrounded by swamp and agg. Its 10 acres so done want to push him. In 1.5 hours, he stood and fell twice. That said, he never lefr his first bed in that time frame. Plz cross your fingers!

This is 25 miles.south of my property. When i get back. Neighbor shot. 6 point. Just got back in tracking it through my woods to the road with him. Spoke to the neighbor across the street, hes hunting the am but gave him permission to track at 10am.

Bucks were on their feet today! I wont bore you with the doe that busted me and i flipped my safety off, lol

11. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Here he is fellas! 9 point. 8 point with 1sticker over an inch 20201031_082004.jpg

12. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

Headed back out fellas. Doe patrol unless i get a crack at another decent buck. Ill post points up later. Buck i shot was a 9 point. It has a 1" point off his base. Maybe ill get a crack at something bigger. Well see!

13. short stick

short stick

Congrats on your buck, I phone won’t let me see your pictures so I’ll have to wait until I get home . Not see lots of deer but did see 2 bucks , 3pt and a 6pt but no shots yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Congrats that’s a dandy!