TEAM 13 “STACKIN RACKS”

Discussion in '2020 Pinefarm Memorial Deer Hunting Contest' started by nine tine, Sep 15, 2020.

1. eboll

eboll

It's been slow for me. The does have been on their typical lines of movement. Haven't seen much for fresh sign until this afternoon. Got 4 rubs coming out of a bedding area. I happen to have a stand in that spot too, so we will see how it goes tonight.

Former grunt likes this.
  2. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

Sweetie and I hunted tonight, no luck. Never saw a buck. Hunted this morning and seen the 2 bucks before i got into the stand, see the LFTS thread.

Hoping I can pull something out before gun season! It's been a tough 1 so far!

3. slammer00

slammer00 Premium Member

I had a horrible night. Missed a 130” buck. Got downwind and had to try to thread my arrow thru branches at 15yds and didn’t go as planned. Found out my daughter broke her arm shortly after that then got down right before dark and put a stalk on another buck. Everything looked good but couldn’t find anything. Going to go look better tomorrow

4. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

sounds like a rough night! Hope the kiddo is alright!

5. Esquire

Esquire

Hey Team,
    I'm out in a spot that has had a lot of buck activity on film since 10/30. I will hunt tomorrow night and all weekend. Trying to get a shooter on the board for us. Good luck to all you guys. Shoot straight and be safe both in and out of the woods.

BulldogOutlander likes this.
  6. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

good luck you guys! I'll be stuck at home with the baby this weekend.. Making sure the wife makes that extra money for me before i leave for deer camp lol..

stay safe and let your arrows fly straight and true!

Esquire likes this.
  7. nine tine

nine tine

I put a cut on a good buck Monday. Just hair and fat on arrow. First one I’ve lost in 14yrs. Hopefully I see him during Gun season. No sign of him on cameras yet

8. Esquire

Esquire

Hope he comes back through for you 9tine.

BulldogOutlander likes this.
  9. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

I'm starting to get things ready for rifle season. I am going to be hunting a different section of the property this year and i'm debating on which gun to use. I have 3 choices.

One is a 300mag. Haven't used that in 3 seasons due to it ruining so much meat (but obviously the best knock down power) Comes with the best scope (4x16 monarch 3) zeroed for 200 yards. However, i have never been skunked while holding this rifle..

Another is my grandfathers old M1903 Springfield 30-06. It's the one i have taken my largest buck with. I've used it for two seasons, and only taken that one buck. Comes with the worse scope.. a 1x power no clue brand. Papa believed in only using 1x scopes. "if you can see it, you can hit it" was his motto.. zeroed for 200 yards... 1 for 2 in harvesting deer

Finally my old trust worthy .243. Saves the most meat, and has taken the most deer (for me). comes with a 3x9 scope, also zeroed for 200 yards. I love it since its lightweight, minimal recoil, and cheapest to shoot lol. However typically doesn't leave much of a blood trail (if needed). Have only been skunked with this rifle 4 times.. soo.. 12 for 16.

Most of those successes have been does sadly. The 300mag has never taken something with horns, while the other two have. Where i hunt the bucks have to be 3 or more on one side, and since i'm hunting an open field, that is 300 yards long (end to end and hunting in the middle), anything seeable is hittable. I do have a nice set of binos, but the 30-06 has the least amount of ammo for it (thanks rona!), and with the least powered scope, i'm leaning away from it.

Help a brother choose!

10. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

I know what you mean on the .300...it does a good job on deer but just a tad overpowered.

I like the .30-06 option cuz it's a family gun....but a new scope would do wonders for it. Maybe a leupold 3-9 x40 Rifleman scope.

11. nine tine

nine tine

Youngest son got his first bow buck tonight. 6877E081-C07F-4C01-B384-FBF1CB641750.jpeg

12. eboll

eboll

Had a very slow week. Not much action with the warm weather. Had an shooter 8 point cone through Wednesday at first light and I didn't get a shot. I was sitting on the ground in a new spot, he saw me draw. Saturday morning on a different property I shot at an 8 point. I missed low. Found a bunch of hair at the shot sight. Found blood where I last saw him, tracked for several hundred yards. He never bedded, and the blood dissipated. I talked to several trackers and they agreed with my thought that it was brisket shot. He will live.

13. BulldogOutlander

BulldogOutlander

yeah i got the 300mag to join my uncle out west on a elk hunting trip however due to a change in his health (and the birth of my daughter) we agreed to post-pone it a couple years so make sure he was medically alright. Now that he's medically alright, the dang 'rona is delaying everything.

i've thought about upgrading scopes as well, but i am having a hard time because the way it's setup is the way my papa used it. So it would be very hard for me to separate/upgrade it lol. I use it when i know i will have a 100 yard or less shot due to the minimal power on the scope.

ended up going with my trusty 243 at site in days. I had to make a couple minor adjustments (was shooting low at 100yards) but after letting it cool off a smidge, it's perfect-o!

woohooo little-ist nine tine!!

14. nine tine

nine tine

Oldest boy got a buck tonight. Maybe I’ll have my chance in next 3 days E90BBFF7-F7B7-4A15-8E3A-E9C28EF1661D.jpeg 3A7B0C60-ADAE-49A6-9768-B1B87F04EA73.jpeg this was the text picture I got at 4:35. He got in blind at 4:20. Shot and found in under 15 minutes

15. Esquire

Esquire

Tremendous! Congrats to all in the family!