Tawas Fishing Pier

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by RJF, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

The whitefish are probably overfished by netting. Don't know if there are quota's on whitefish, if not there should be?
    Those whitefish spawn in the rocks at the pier, maybe they are spawning other places or just not there anymore.

2. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Hello this is Gordon....may I help you?

Shoeman likes this.

3. Smallie12

Smallie12

My father said back in the day he knew guys from work that would keep every single one too and just grind them up and make fish patties out of the small ones. To each their own.

4. Smallie12

Smallie12

5. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

If I remember correctly, listening to the SeaGrant presentation I heard that the perch harvest for Saginaw Bay has been flat for many years. The presenter went on to say that those netters that hold perch licenses are not using no where near the gear they normally use because the perch are not there in numbers that make it worth their time. Surly, if there were perch they would be netting, it's a high dollar catch.

Ralph Smith likes this.
  6. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

I'm not sure but it sure has gone down hill the last 10 years.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. Smallie12

Smallie12

Yup, graph indicates that. And the reason anglers are catching fewer is that nobody is targeting them like they used to. Neither us anglers nor the netters can catch what isn't there.

8. Smallie12

Smallie12

Stands to reason. But also more of a niche fishery per se to anglers so unless more are targeting them to fully realize the gravity of that situation and gripe about it, it seems to be sort of hush hush. Also, why would the netters want to expand to other species if it isn't sort of the truth but I'd have to look at their last few years of whitefish numbers to know and I don't really feel like that, haha. If I were targeting whitefish though I would. That would only strengthen anti netting arguments but I believe some have mentioned that in prior threads.