Tawas 2020

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by andyotto, Apr 6, 2020.

1. bignuge

bignuge

Did you guys get the Michigan State University survey on the Lake Huron fishery? It was very interesting.

Salmonous Maximus likes this.
  2. tourney180

tourney180

yes it was, i made sure i fished alot and didn't catch any salmon.

3. andyotto

andyotto

Haven’t seen it. Do you have a link.

fisheater likes this.
  4. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

5. andyotto

andyotto

6. bignuge

bignuge

Interesting how they hypothetically manipulate the catch rate and how satisfied the angler would be per 100 fishing hours.

the Numbers per 100 seemed a lot lower than Andy’s catch rate ......

andyotto likes this.
  7. Salmonous Maximus

Salmonous Maximus

You know that might not help...I see you working though.

It might discourage them from planting at all in a given area if you lie and say you caught nothing.

8. Nickolai M Miotto

Nickolai M Miotto

Anyone's fished whitstone to alabaster lately? Havent fished in two months. Going to loose my mind. Still only perch on the inner bay. That would be my next closest stop. TIA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. andyotto

andyotto

Each season over the last 5 years has been so different from one another. The survey was asking about 2019. That spring we caught around 30 kings and 15 browns. We only caught 3 Atlantics all year and steelhead didn't really show up until late august and were there for only a few weeks. This year we only caught 1 king but caught close to 30 Atlantics. We had steelhead around from July until just recently. Its just such an up and down fishery based on individual species in a given year. That's why when a creel guy asks what am I fishing for its always whatever will bite that includes walleye too.

10. andyotto

andyotto

BTW I didn't see where/if they published the results to the survey. Is anything out on this?

11. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

They are still taking information since it hasn't been out for very long. I just received an email a few days ago asking to fill it out. They wanted me to fill it out based on my previous surveys I have done. I wouldn't expect much til the end of the year or so since it takes a little while to compile all the info after they get enough surveys.

andyotto likes this.
  12. bignuge

bignuge

Just wanted to see who they were asking because it seems like they would want a sample from people who actually fish Lake Huron.

andyotto likes this.
  13. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

That's who they want filling out the surveys.

14. SJC

SJC

I took the survey and didn't really like it. I don't like how all trout and salmon are lumped together. I didn't care for the hypothetical catch rate scenarios; I'm going to fish as much as I can as long as there's something to catch. Why not just rate our most desired species and ask what we are actually targeting and having the most success with? Seemed like most focus was on Atlantics. The survey also reminded me that I answered that I had fished "0 days on Lake Huron" when I DID note how many days I fished.

Best part was the fish ID segment when they used a pic of my kid:

Stand By, fisheater, bignuge and 2 others like this.
  15. andyotto

andyotto

10D0B618-1830-40F5-A3A8-35DFDC3226F8.jpeg 4C2FBD06-DF4F-4FC6-9757-19453934E131.jpeg A1C85A87-76CE-46C0-9A25-4EBB49BED3C1.jpeg 3748DA76-F1EA-4FC4-9613-B52326EF0AC3.jpeg Didn’t want to fight the crowds this morning for the duck opener and wasn’t quite ready to hit the tree stand yet, so my buddy Mike and I decided to get out on the water for our third last trip of the year. Another fun morning going 3 for 8 on steelhead. Marked lots of bait and hooks from 40 to 60 fow off the tip of the point. Carbon 14 took almost all the hits off riggers down 35 and 45. Nothing on core or divers. Had to be constantly clearing lines of floating vegetation. Only took hits on a southeast troll. Fish were loaded with bait. Had a nice flyover by 4 warthogs. Great way to end the season (again).