Tarsal Glands

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bucman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Bucman

Bucman

Does anyone else use these while their hunting?
    I keep a supply in my freezer and hang them when Im scrape hunting during the rut and prerut. I have a processor who lets me take all the tarsals from the older deer he gets in. Just curios if anyone else is doing this.

2. john decker

john decker

I have used them before that I bummed from a buddy that got a early buck.once drug one in about a qtr mile on a string,tossed it up above a scrape in the branches and climbed up in my stand.this was during gun season.it was about a hr before daylite.could make out the outline of a big deer at the scrape and he was pissed.he did a snort wheeze about 5 times and then left but returned a few min later,still too dark to see what he was or get a shot.only time ive heard them do the snort wheeze.i save them when I shoot a buck now.

3. old graybeard

old graybeard

I've used them for dragging the scent through the woods as I walk into my stands and have had bucks follow the trail.

4. Bucman

Bucman

My best when i use them from a deer thats a stranger to the area. somehow they can tell the competition level just from the smell. Ive watched small deer come unglued by the scent. While dominant deer come charging in.

old graybeard likes this.
  5. snowmobilingswordfish

snowmobilingswordfish

Do you guys soak them in anything or just take the tarsal gland and drag it on it's on? I seen in a show they put a gland in a jar and filled it up with water then dumped the water on a scrape

6. Bucman

Bucman

I keep mine in a ziplock in the freezer until I use them. Then I cut a hole in them for a string so I can drag them. Then hang them one on each side of my stand so they will hit that scent before mine. They last a week or so unless it’s real cold. Then they lose their potency. I’m lucky to have an unlimited supply during season. The fresher the better

7. snowmobilingswordfish

snowmobilingswordfish

Thanks for the reply, do you find a buck or a doe gland works better?

8. Bucman

Bucman

Bucks of older age. The stinking ones. You need a good knife and rubber gloves to cut them off. You won’t like it if you touch them bare handed. Lol
    An older dominant deer will not like a strange dominant intruder.
    Go to a processor in a week or so and ask if you can get a few. They usually don’t mind. I go to a place every Tuesday morning. They cut on tuesday afternoon. I keep a pair of gloves, a knife and some bags with me all the time just in case.

9. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

I have had good luck using buck glands, I freeze them in the small baby food jars with the seal, soak them in buck urine drag them in and/or hang over a scrap early in the season even before they start working them. The best ones to get are near the end of the rut nasty I save they for the next year. Depending on the weather they can go rank in little time. Need to start saving some doe glands and try it with some doe in heat. I would rather spend money on scent than hauling bag after bag of food through the woods.