close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Talk Turkey To Me

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Crappietime, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Crappietime

Crappietime

Calling all experts... finally going to turkey hunt next year in the spring. I'e been "doing" it for about 5 years now and life hasn't allowed me. Now I have permission to hunt some property in the spring and I've got the gun the camo and an assortment of calls. As an obvious noob I'm not great on any of them. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the best beginner turkey call that I can hopefully get good enough on before the spring season. Note. I will practice much to the dismay of my wife... children... and dogs. Any help or advice of any kind is greatly appreciated

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. Jdhunttrapfish

Jdhunttrapfish

Well no expert here but I will give you what I know, hopefully others can chime in as well, first off if your talking most user friendly and easiest to use its going to be a box call, good sound and very easy to learn how to use, any box call will give decent sounds and should work just don't get something that your afraid might break on you, second is going to be a pot and peg or a friction call, a little harder to learn but if you put the time in you will be able to get pretty good, friction calls are very realistic sounding and will work well, the more expensive you buy the better sounding they will be, mine are mid price range and work fine, last and hardest to get good at will be a mouth call, they will take a lot of practice to get good at, but they are my favorite, they produce some of the most realistic sounds you could ask for, for me I love just them because they are hands free, non expensive, they have lots of different cuts that will produce different sounds, and once you get pretty good they are just fun to mess around with, but overall I would say start with a box call or a friction call, listen to videos of professional callers and of course videos of wild turkeys to get an idea of the sequences of calls and different types of calls they make, get one call, put in the time and practice and you will get good, then you can try other calls later, experience will help you as well, most importantly have fun, good luck

itchn2fish and cedarlkDJ like this.

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I would start with a box call. They are easy to learn. Learn the cadence of yelping. Also make sure the box will purr. I have brought more turkeys in to purrs than just plain yelps.

4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Once we learned that turkeys don't seem to notice pop-up blinds, turkey hunting became a whole lot easier and more fun........in a number of ways.

L & O

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. Crappietime

Crappietime

I have some mouth calls. I actually like using them which is something that some others have told me they don't care for it. In all fairness. The property I have gotten permission to hunt is a small private parcel loaded with birds... will calling still be important or would you think more right place right time scenario?

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. backstrap bill

backstrap bill

Look up some turkey calling on YouTube lots of videos. I have slate and box calls, but learning and mastering the mouth calls are the most fun IMO. I also like to run and gun as opposed to sitting in a blind and that’s when my luck changed. It don’t always work out like you see in TV when they call them into an open field. At least from my experiences. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

8. Crappietime

Crappietime

Thanks. I think I would like being mobile too I've been practicing on my calls and I will be looking forward to maybe buying some more stuff... I'm the stereotypical hunter they "sell" to lol

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I'm not much for box calls myself but they are easy to use. I would get a nice pot and peg from firefighter on here great for realistic yelps. As far as mouth calls just make sure to get some good custom made ones as those store bought ones suck in my opinion. I would concentrate on yelps including lost yelps. Never met a spring tom from New Mexico to Georgia that could resist a nice set of hen yelps in the spring. As far as whines and purrs I enjoy using them to mess with hens that are in close but I can't say I have ever used a purr to bring in a gobbler. Main thing get out there and get some experience ,the real thing will school you for sure. Good luck nothing like that thundering rattling gobble from 5 yards behind you just when you think he must have lost interest and walked off. Oh ya and leave the blind at home unless you are using a bow you will miss a lot sitting in a blind in my opinion.

10. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Totally agree yelps which theirs a handful of ways to use them and cutting flat azz kills turkeys.
    This whole I clucked and purred my bird is, b.s. You got in his way, or he was close and you drew him a few yards closer out of curiosity.

Timbr like me has hunted all over and if you can yelp and have good woodsmanship you'll kill birds.

11. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I agree cutting at the right time is deadly ! I would have to say the yelp and cutts are the 2 calls I use the most at least I learned something from that dedgoose fella !

12. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Dead goose I have to disagree with you on clucking and purring not calling birds in. Take for instance the tom I killed last year. I spotted one single gobbler to the south of me a couple of hundred yards so I sat facing south. The bird to the south was totally silent. I just clucked and purred to try to get him to come my way.

I about crapped my pants when a gobbler gobbled 15 yards behind me. This bird had come across a dirt road to come to me. I do not believe he was headed that way. Luckily I was sitting against a huge cherry tree so I was able to slowly turn around and shoot him. I about took his head off as my 835 was choked tight for 30 yard shots.

Numerous times I have totally quit yelping and only clucked and purred after I got a gobble out of a tom. I have finished a lot of birds with only clucks and purrs.

One time Rod Benson put a box call in my hand at a show. The first thing I tried was to get it to purr. He was not a happy camper as there were a bunch of people standing around him, when I gave it back to him when he said it would not purr. I told him that if it would not purr I had no interest in it.

I have been using the first box call I bought back in the early 70's when I first started turkey hunting. That old Roger Latham has been used to call in all of the turkeys that I have killed my self and called in for friends over all those years. Most of the birds were finished with clucks and purrs.

As far as mouth calls go I am also using the same double reed Perfection diaphrams made by Jim Clay that I started out with. There is nothing custom about them. They work great for me.

TriggerDiscipline and itchn2fish like this.
  13. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

See that's the cool thing about turkey hunting just because it doesn't work for one it might be just the ticket for others. For me i i spent a lot of time when I first started learning to do purr on a mouth call box call and slate because it was deadly and the finisher for gobblers. And well ive never had one that I can truly say a purr was the difference to kill a tom. So if I was a new I would stick to get yelps and clucks. Clucks because they turn into cutts but whines and purrs for me they are just for fun .

14. ezcaller

ezcaller

Crappietime welcome to our world! Your going to try all the calls eventually over the course of that time ,be honest with yourself. Listen to any real turkey vocalizations and record and compare your sounds.Which call are you best at.There are many guys that have killed birds using a mouth call and are not very good. But they have killed birds.You want as many things in your corner as possible when things get tough so you need to make real turkey sounds.The basic sounds will always entice birds. If you can yelp,cutt,and cluck you have your basics covered. A soft yelp can be used early in the morning a plain yelp during hunting and even a long series of lost yelps can be used as a locating call.The cutt is my go to call when I need a gobble.And the cluck is easy on a friction call when you need to tone it down.

15. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

Best advice right there! I used to go sit on the edge of a creek by my house where turkeys roosted year around…..on the other side where nobody could hunt! I would go fall, winter and spring and just listen. It’s amazing the different sounds that come out of turkeys! (Most would not win a turkey calling contest). Just as each human has a distinctive voice, so do turkeys. I would then practice imitating those sounds. During breeding season in spring, when most hunting occurs, the standard calls work. It’s just a matter of when, how and where. I tell people turkey hunting is like a cross between deer and goose hunting. Go to the right spot, silently set and wait, call if need be because they will usually let you know if they are coming in.

itchn2fish likes this.