Taking newbys out for their first time

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Dave6883, May 14, 2018.

1. Dave6883

Dave6883

I have some friends coming into town next weekend fishing for walleye for the first time. I know where to put them on first, but I'm not the best teacher.... my plan isto stay with jigging, then switch to harnesses if they're struggling. Any advice on how to make my guests productive?

2. cterbow

cterbow

3. on a call

on a call

Gill nets or dynamite

I took two out last weekend...they were skunked :(

Life is short...enjoy the time together

snortwheeze likes this.
  4. Salty_nacho

Salty_nacho

A couple obvious things that new people miss, get the jig down asap and if you start losing bottom reel up and drop down again. And, shorter controlled lifts. Most of my guests are pretty green and that’s something I’m constantly reminding them to do.

pjd, snortwheeze and river jigger like this.
  5. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Either they have it or don’t it’s too hard to run the motor and try to look back at them to see them failing miserably. I say watch my line do what I’m doing. See how there’s a tiny bit of slack when jig hits bottom. If they can’t figure that out nothing I can do. Plus gotta tie their jig on when they snag. Hard with greenhorns. I usually take them bottom bouncing so they can actually catch fish. But it’s full blown jig so they’ll have to wait lol.

6. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Use minnows for sure and work the jig slow, give the fish plenty of time to hit the jig.

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

Use live bait, I am new to jigging. I did not catch anything till I put live bait on, and don't forget about the stinger hooks. This week I am going to try my new rod and reel with out bait and see how it goes.

Yes and work the jig slow, that was probably the best advise I got on one of my posts two weeks ago.

8. jampg

jampg

Jig. Get it down to the bottom for them the first time and say look, see how I'm hitting the bottom and lifting slow and easy about 12 inches. Dont let them drag the bottom. 3/4 oz for the newbies.

9. slabstar

slabstar

Stop in a shallow no current spot, like 8 feet deep. Have them drop down and tell them to play hot potato with bottom. Emphasize NOT letting drag. Dropping down with spinning reels, teach them to stop the line every 5 seconds or so. You don't want them letting out too much line.
    In a shallow no current spot, you can give tips and advice without having to worry about the trolling motor and they'll have an idea of the program.

10. Dave6883

Dave6883

Thanks for all the advice. I've been jigging the d since I was a kid and don't think much about the mechanics. I like you're idea about the shallow water slab, and I don't usually use minnows, I assume you guys are talking about tipping..... they are driving in from Indiana, so i want to be as prepared as possible. I take plenty of local friends out, but they're more interested in drinking or self "medicating" than fishing, so I give them the 30 second how to then let them do their thing. Only stopping them when their line is dragging way upstream interfering with others.

11. Spur

Spur

You could have them "chug" while you jig. Chugging is just big weight jig with a treble on a string. Tip it with a blue ice minnow and they can chug on a normal jigging rob. We do it often and it works great and is easy to hold bottom

snortwheeze likes this.
  12. Spur

Spur

13. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Take them bass fishing. Or pull boards in the lake.

dpd1413 likes this.
  14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Now that is old school. I think the last time I chugged was some time in the early 80's. It does work though.

Come to think of it I haven't whipped since the 90's either.......wonder where I stuck the whipping rods.

15. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Chuggers were on fish today. Matter of fact seen the old school chugger (ore hanging over board) and using the ore to keep him in or out, or "sideways" then seen another set of the "new breed" chugger . sitting in back of boat with a remote over his neck to keep "right" .. Will break my chugging stick out in July :) think any and every river rat started chugging, no I did and ALL my buddies also

Aaronjeep2 likes this.