close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taking my boys to UP for first every "Boys fishing weekend"

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Utahan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Utahan

Utahan

Ever since my 13 year old was little he has been begging me to take him fishing. We would normally go out 1-2 times a year for a couple hours. This year I finally bought a little junker fishing boat, 1960 14' Lund with a 1971 evinrude 9.5 sportwin. Definitely not a big lake boat, but we have been having such good father/son time this summer! My 10 year old has also really caught the "fishing bug". Now it is literally all they want to do.

We are heading up to the UP for a camping weekend soon and are going to stay at Muskallonge state park. We would love to find some nice fishing up there. I thought I'd put in at Muskallonge lake, but does anyone know where else we should try. We are definitely catch and release guys and would only likely go up every couple years, so we won't hurt the fish numbers if someone points us towards their "spot". Even a PM with info or advice would be appreciated if your leary of posting on the public forum. We would love to catch anything, but have been going after bass and pike lately. A little trout lake fishing would be amazing, but I'm just hoping to get some pointers before I head up north for the big weekend and get skunked and have two disappointed kids.

Thanks in advance.
    Troy

2. ITTYBITTYKITTY

ITTYBITTYKITTY

Try posting this in the Warm water UP Lakes sub-forum. 20 years ago the Autrain Basin (South of 94) had good fishing. Access is at the campground. Hope your kids have a good time.

3. Nostromo

Nostromo

It's been a long time since I've been up that way. But from what I remember for the Muskallonge lake is try fishing across from the beach with crawler harnesses. You might catch some walleye's and certainly some pike. Also think about trying blind sucker flooding to the west a little ways. After that, there is pike lake (the bigger one). Another thought is canoeing the big two hearted. It's a nice river to have fun on. There may be a few chances to portage over logs and it'll give the kids a chance to work together. You could go canoeing in the mid day and fish the rest of the time.

Mostly have fun!

4. Utahan

Utahan

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try reporting in the UP forum. And I'll try hitting those spots. Maybe even canoeing the river. Is it the type of river you could fish while canoeing?

5. Nostromo

Nostromo

Depends. Most likely you'll be busy paddling.:D There are places where you can pull the canoe out and try your luck. It's a steelhead river for the most part. But it's known to hold some brookies.

http://www.michigan.org/property/rainbow-lodge-and-two-hearted-canoe-trips
    These guys have always ran canoe trips. They had some trouble with the duck lake fire. But I think they are open for business. They can tell you what's happening when you plan to go.

Good luck and have fun!

6. shametamer

shametamer

Nawakwa lake would work for you..a little further west.deer lake basin CATCH N RELEASE ONLY AND ARTIFICIALS ONLY...has plenty of fish and its share of good size ones..dollarville flooding usually gives up fish..autrain lake and autrain basin also would work with your boat

7. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Looked like a nice campground , was really surprised how busy it was this past wknd. Very well maintained though, hardly any boats on the lake. We picked a ton of blueberries on the cut back to blind sucker campground. I can give you some places to fish in the area if you wanna pm me I just got back from that area.
    Lake Superior brewary in grand marais is great place for whitefish and a blueberry wheat. That's a pic of the launch
    IMG_4689.JPG

8. Utahan

Utahan

Thanks for the posts guys. I haven't had a chance to look at a computer screen lately so I didn't see some of these until today.

PM sent gatorman841.

9. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Fished a smaller lake near Muskullonge , called Perch lake . Smaller lake and campground , but good fishing for panfish , pike and bass . Was awhile ago ,but the bears were a nuisance .

gatorman841 likes this.
  10. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Stopped there after I left oswalds nice lake and still good lake to fish for kids enough panfish to keep them entertained.