Tahquamenon River boat access.

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by ogie, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ogie

ogie

Hey guys,

Going up to Tahquamenon for my birthday in a few weeks and was hoping to get some advice on the best places to take a 14foot semi-v boat with a 20hp motor. I was hoping to stick mostly to the river and fish for Musky and Smallies. Not looking for any spots or anything like that, mostly just recommendations on the best places to launch for a boat my size. I was thinking I'd spend the bulk of my time on the Upper River as I assume there's probably a decent amount of traffic on the Lower River for the runs. Any tips are appreciated, tight lines!

2. Mags

Mags

There is a ramp right at the mouth of the river..........just drop in and work your way on up. Great time of the year to be there, and shouldn't be all that crowded. Have fun!:)

Jimbos and zzcop302 like this.

3. ogie

ogie

Is it worth going upriver of the falls? I would love to do an overnight trip on the river if there's anywhere to stop overnight there. Even just a long day up there would be awesome, I've wanted to explore the river since I was a kid and it looks pretty exmpty up there. If we don't find a cabin i think we might stay at the river mouth campground so I'll definitely be spending at least one day up there.

zzcop302 likes this.
  4. zzcop302

zzcop302

I'm hoping you get a reply to this.... that area has always interested me in the camping possibilities.

5. Mags

Mags

I believe there is also some kind of access(canoes, cartoppers?) and campground just below the Lower Falls, but not sure how large either is. Further upstream, by Newberry, there is a dam that holds back the Dollarville Flooding. There is access there, as well as the Natalie State Forest Campground, and a KOA in Newberry we stayed at several years ago. I'm sure there are others around there also. Between Newberry and the Falls, there is an access point called McPhees Landing off county road (CR-462), but I don't recall ever going there.
    We used to spend a lot of time fishing and waterfowling in that whole area years ago when my bud's brother had a small resort west of Paradise called Lost Lake Resort. After he retired and sold the place, we haven't been up there near as frequently. That is such a beautiful part of the state, as is the entire UP actually.:D

zzcop302 likes this.
  6. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

The lower river will not be crowded at all, it gets only a very light salmon run and virtually no one targets them in the river. Your boat will work great for any stretch of it you choose.

There are very few bass in the river, only a perch, walleye, pike and musky fishery. This time of year the upper stretch has more walleye, the lower more perch, pike and musky fairly equal in each.

The only cabins to rent in the lower stretch are only about 2 miles upstream from the mouth. The rest of the 14 miles to the falls only has a few scattered cabins. Lots of National forest land surround where you could pull off and camp, but not really any spots that are set up or used for that.

Dpricher and zzcop302 like this.
  7. Section8Duck&FishingClub

Section8Duck&FishingClub

How did you do last September? I'm planning a trip there in July (2018) and I am curious about the fishing.

8. Mags

Mags

:yeahthat:
    Likewise.........it's been a few years since we've been up there, and also planning a trip mid-August 2018. Just made reservations at "Cloud Nine" for a week before their Blueberry Fest in Paradise.

9. ogie

ogie

Got one small pike the whole time haha. It's definitely a tough river, the weather was **** as well. We didn't end up running all the way to the falls, I think we would've done better if we had just went straight there as I know it's a lot deeper from previous family trips there. I didn't mark many fish either, we had a storm front come in the first day we were there and then it was high 90's the rest of the time so I think they were just turned off.

I'm planning on going up there this spring, hoping to go for some smallies when they run up.

10. Section8Duck&FishingClub

Section8Duck&FishingClub

Thanks for the info. I plan on primarily fly fishing for bass/pike so we will see how it goes!

11. Duke

There will be very few bass in the river in July, I wouldn’t expect to run into any then and the spring run is not real big either. Just not much of a bass river!

12. shametamer

shametamer

u may find some ..lost ..smallmouth...lol.....if you are not having any luck with traditonal tactics try trolling /casting a plug in HOT PINK..i use wiggle warts..only place i ever catch fish on a solid pink lure

13. ogie

ogie

I talked to an older woman while I was there who said they get into them decent in the spring. She showed me a picture of a kid holding a fish that must've been 5lbs+... The looked to be ten and the fish was as big as his torso! How is the river down from dollarville? I wanted to launch my boat up there but got really sick the day we were going to do it so we just ended up staying around camp.

14. Duke

Yup some smallies in the lower late May - early June.

Down from dollarville is decent pike, perch, musky, walleye, rock bass for miles and miles