close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tahquamenon River boat access.

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ogie, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ogie

ogie

Hey guys,

Going up to Tahquamenon for my birthday in a few weeks and was hoping to get some advice on the best places to take a 14foot semi-v boat with a 20hp motor. I was hoping to stick mostly to the river and fish for Musky and Smallies. Not looking for any spots or anything like that, mostly just recommendations on the best places to launch for a boat my size. I was thinking I'd spend the bulk of my time on the Upper River as I assume there's probably a decent amount of traffic on the Lower River for the runs. Any tips are appreciated, tight lines!

2. Cable

Cable

I fished it last weekend and we put in at Natalie which is above the dollarville dam don't use the one right at the dam. The best spots we found were the deep bends. If you put in at McPhees landing it is a ways down to some better spots and we mostly trolled bucktails since there was a lot more straighter stretches.

3. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

I don't own a boat so I can't help you much. But I enjoy hunting plants in that area and can note a few things for you - most of the Tahquamenon is not Trout water. (This can be seen on the DNR's maps of Type 1-4 streams for the Inland Trout regulations). So I am not sure what 'runs' you might be referring to.

There is a nice boat launch right at the mouth of the river adjacent to the bridge for M-123 several miles south of Paradise. One of these days I will get a line wet there but I need a better reason than catching yet more small Pike. There is a nice, recently built breakwall that would be perfect for some casting or floating some bait.

I do think the lower river below the falls is known for excellent fishing of the species you mentioned. Perhaps asking in the Warm Water forum might be more likely to find some more info, not sure. I bought a new pair of Hip Boots today - they would not be very useful on the Tahquamenon.

4. ogie

ogie

I just meant the salmon and steelhead runs. I figured the Tahquamenon had one, I could be wrong. Thanks for the information, I'll try over there as well.

5. Teggs

Teggs

If a river flows into lake superior trout and salmon will run up it.. this river has a nice brown trout population. It is a hard river to produce big skis, very big very stained. Use you side imaging and cover a lot of water. Good luck