Tagging options for antlerless deer

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by romayer, Sep 16, 2008.

1. romayer

romayer Guest

Here is a quote from the DNR website:

Q. Isn't there also a "button buck" tagging option for an antlerless deer hunter?

YES. In addition to the above options for deer hunters, a person with a valid antlerless deer hunting license and an unused firearm or comination license that kills a "button buck" (male deer with less than 3" antlers) can tag the male deer with any deer hunting license (antlerless, firearm, or either combination license). Both licenses must be in your possession at the time of the kill. All deer must be tagged immediately.

The way I read it, this rule is valid no matter what season you're in. In other words, rule stands even for early and late antlerless seasons. Can somebody confirm this for me?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. bigcountrysg

bigcountrysg

What this means is, if you have a valid unused antlerless tag and firearm, or combo tag. Then you can use any three of the tags to tag the deer. How ever you must have both tags in your possession.

It does not matter what season it is in.

3. romayer

romayer Guest

Got it, thanks!

4. bigcountrysg

bigcountrysg

Just remember both tags at the time of tagging have to be valid and unused.

So if you posess an antlerless tag that is valid and unused, and you have a valid unused firearm, archery, or combo. Then you can actually use the buck tag to tag the antlerless deer. But you must have both valid unused tags in your possession.

5. romayer

romayer Guest

Fair enough. Does the antlerless deer have to be a male deer to be able to use one of the combo tags? I am referring to the firearm seasons, if it makes a difference.

6. bigcountrysg

bigcountrysg

Yes it has to be a male deer to tag it in this fashion. You can not use a buck tag on a Doe even if you posess an antlerless tag.

7. romayer

romayer Guest

OK, that's what I thought. I knew there was a difference between bow and shotgun. Thanks again!