1. Cobb1973

Cobb1973

With all the deer pictures coming out on Ms and fb, I can not believe how many illegally tagged deer are shown. Does anybody read there game laws? Or do they just make there own rules up? It clearly states DO NOT stick your license to the antler of the deer. I even seen one in the back of a truck not tagged, (illegal)and the next picture was in the garage and it had the tag stuck to the antler....(illegal).....

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. dead short

dead short Mods

I know, right..... Generates a lot of complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

3. Tron322

Tron322

just curious, what is the reasoning for this.

I always use some string myself then wrap it around the leg of a turkey or antler..or cut a hole in the leg or something...never seen anyone just stick it on there, is it to stop lost tags in transit?

Just curious.

figured a bunch never saw it, so here it is pg 61 of the guide..I went and Bolded the section most should focus on.

Tagging Big Game

Immediately after killing a deer, bear, elk, or turkey, you must validate your kill

tag and fasten it to the antler, lower jaw, or lower leg in such a manner that the

tag remains securely attached to the animal. Do not stick or wrap the kill tag to

the antler of a deer or to the leg of a turkey. The best way to attach a kill tag is to

lay a strong piece of wire or cord across the sticky side of the kill tag so the tag

can be folded in half. Tie the wire or cord to the animal. Make sure the kill tag is

completely legible and visible for inspection. The kill tag must remain attached

until you process or butcher the animal, or the animal is accepted for processing

and recorded by a commercial processor or taxidermist.

Note: If the antlers or head are returned to the person submitting the animal to the

commercial processor, the kill tag shall accompany the head or antlers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  4. 2508speed

2508speed Banned

It's a way to get the government DNR to hassle you! Think about it! If they can get you to think about the way you tag the deer you shoot, they can bust you on if you are not wearing the proper wool socks! Seriously, Who has been busted for having a tag on antlers? O crap, I just got suckered !:D

5. dead short

dead short Mods

Usually I'm just tickled that it's tagged at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

6. Tron322

Tron322

lol

7. Cobb1973

Cobb1973

I never heard of anyone getting busted for it. But why is it a law if it dont matter? I dont think people should loose there deer or hunting privleges over it, but just think of the revenue it would create if it were treated like a seat belt violation.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

8. bioactive

bioactive Tornado Jim Premium Member

It is OK to put the tag on an antler or turkey leg, or deer leg, but they want you to use a string or wire attached to the tag to do so, not to wrap the tag around the antler using the sticky side.

I think the reasoning is that it may not be readable if you wrap it using the sticky side, and you are more likely to lose it as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  9. brookie1

brookie1

"Pure Michigan"

10. brookie1

brookie1

It's not the law, at least I have never seen it anywhere. One concern about wrapping around an antler is that parts of the tag get covered and it makes it difficult to verify that it is notched correctly. The actual law (below) doesn't mention anything about it.

Sec. 3.103 (1) The director shall issue a kill tag as part of each deer hunting license. A person who kills a deer shall immediately validate the kill tag by notching out the appropriate information on the tag and attach the kill tag to the antler, lower jaw, or gambrel of the deer in a secure and permanent manner.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. sjk984

sjk984

I put a slit in the ear and only peel half the tag and slip it through. Then stir it to itself. Last year had 1 come off a doe using the wire tag as explained above

12. Scott K

Scott K

The cover of the 2012 hunting guide shows a deer with the tag wrapped around the antler :lol:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Pages_1to16_2012_HTDigest_394824_7.pdf

13. tmilldrummer

tmilldrummer

Zip ties are the way to go. Stick the zip tie through the leg and pull it tight, then fold the tag over the end onto itself. Quick,clean, and efficient.
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. Cobb1973

Cobb1973

When i buy my tags i take them home peel the back off lay a zip tie in the middle of it and stick it to itself around the zip tie.then it goes into my back pack ready to be notched and attached to deer. Works great , and never been close to loosing off the deer..

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

15. jablood

jablood

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the animal was tagged by the person with a valid license, you will be fine. The DNR doesn't even have a field officer for each county to investigate trespassing laws and over-baiting bans. This is the least of their worries. I have two friends who are DNR officers and they don't even know the full law. They said they use common sense to judge if the game was tagged lawfully. They said they can't get to all the complaints and very seldom can investigate illegal trespassing which I think is a bigger problem in our state. We stopped at a check area to get a deer checked in and a successful hunter patch for a young hunter. The deer was tagged properly and legally, but fell off after getting the deer into the truck and traveling 100 miles. They took the hunters info anyway and processed the kill with no ticket issued. Our group of hunters follows the state game rules, but we are not so sure the same can be said of our neighbors both on state and private land. Have fun and just hunt. Good luck to everyone. Michigan has a lot to offer us outdoor conservationists.