Tagged out 10/25

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bapotter, Oct 25, 2020.

1. bapotter

bapotter

Long post. Pics at bottom.

It's been a pretty eventful season for me this year. All my hunts are hang and hunts on public land. It started with a botched a shot on a nice 8 on October 3rd up near my cabin. I setup at 2:30 pm as close as I thought I could get to bedding. He arrived no later than 10 min after I sat down. Unfortunately, he detected something as I drew back and skipped forward a few steps. I grunted to stop him, but instead of settling the pin and executing the shot, I rushed it and punched the trigger. Gave him a haircut just above the vitals. I replayed that shot over and over the next couple days.

I finally got a chance to get back out last Saturday on some public land not too far from home. Picked a spot on the map and off I went. Ended up walking 1.6 miles with my stand on my back just to end up 300 yards from my truck. About a half hour before dark 4 young does came in. I didn't plan on shooting a doe, but after missing the buck earlier I decided I needed a confidence boast. I settled the pin and executed a good 20 yard shot. Watched her fall 40 yards away.

I came back up to the cabin yesterday mid-morning to close things up and hunt. I setup in the same general area where I missed the 8 on the 3rd. Yesterday was slow until the last hour. I had a 2.5 yr old 4 point push a doe past at 15 yards...saw one other doe off in the distance. That was enough to convince me to leave the stand overnight and slip back in in the morning.

I was in my stand by 7:15 this morning listening to barred owls calling in the distance. About 7:30 a lone deer passed to my north in the dark. He had that steady cadence that a buck has when tracking a doe. Around 8ish the woods explodes with chasing to my southeast. I first see two does, then their chaser - a beautiful 2.5 year old 6. He noses them around a bit and then a spike and another doe crash the party. The 6 decides he doesn't want to share his girls and charges the spike, whom proceeds to run off with one of the does.

The 6 wanders all around my tree for the next 15 minutes while the two does are behind me...based on the foot stomping I suspect they were trying to figure out what was the blob in the tree. The 6 gave me numerous shot opportunities but I let him pass.

About 45 minutes after they are out of sight I hear the telltale sound of a buck approaching behind me - the same steady cadence I heard in the dark. He approaches from the same direction as the previous deer so I assume he's on the trail of one of the earlier does. For I second I think he's going to head off as he turns south but he was taking a detour to the nearby scrape. He stopped at the scrape at 32 yards. I could have shot him here but I like it closer and I figured he was following the earlier does.

My luck, he was on their path but he comes straight at me and passes by the tree at 5 yards where I have no shot. At this point he's back on his steady walk. I know I'll have to stop him. I draw as he crosses behind a small tree. As he steps out I give a soft mouth grunt but he doesn't hear it. The next one is a little louder and he stops at 16 yards quartering away. I focus on where I want my arrow to exit, settle the pin on the back of the rib cage and execute my shot. The arrow found it's mark. I waited a bit while enjoying the after shot shakes then checked the blood trail. Confident in the shot and blood I took up the track.

It was steady blood, but it was crazy how far he went. On X measures it as nearly 350 yards. How he made it that far with a hole in his liver, lungs, and heart is beyond me. Amazing will to keep going.

Anyway, great deer to wrap up my season.

The 2002 Mathews Q2 and Grim Reaper broadheads get it done again.
    IMG_20201025_095135.jpg IMG_20201025_095223.jpg
    Shot entry.
    IMG_20201025_095727.jpg
    Shot exit.
    IMG_20201025_095739.jpg

2. Esquire

Esquire

Great shot on a great buck! Congrats on your season!

kisherfisher and bapotter like this.

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Well done - Congrats!

kisherfisher and bapotter like this.
  4. JS714

JS714

Nice buck! Congratulations!

bapotter likes this.
  5. Congrats! Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bapotter likes this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

7. old graybeard

old graybeard

Nice buck. Congrats!

bapotter likes this.
  8. 1morebite

1morebite

Congrats on a great shot !

bapotter likes this.
  9. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

Congratulations. That’s an awesome buck.

bapotter likes this.
  10. aacosta

aacosta

Nice shot, perfect lined up angle

bapotter likes this.
  11. Groundsize

Groundsize

Very nice deer Sir!

bapotter likes this.
  12. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Great job and great write up and pics. Congrats on a beautiful buck and a great season!

bapotter likes this.
  13. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Nice deer, congrats.

bapotter likes this.
  14. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Love the write up, felt like it was my hunt. Nice shooting and buck ! Congrats

bapotter likes this.
  15. Fish Hook

Fish Hook

Brighton, MI / Lud Fishing / Scottville Hunting
    Great 2020 story and hunt! Nice buck!

bapotter likes this.