Switching centerpin reels from left to right hand retrieve- and first-time buyer questions

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Nathan Peffers, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nathan Peffers

Nathan Peffers

I am undergoing some preliminary research before I purchase my first center pin. I have gleaned much information from this site and am left with a few questions. Any response will be appreciated

What hand retrieve to center pins come in stock? Can you switch the retrieve hand?

My other question: I am on what is considered a tight budget for a center pin. I have 350 dollars to play with, give or take. I want a center pin for primarily steelhead fishing, but am interested in drifting skein for salmon this fall. If you were me, buying a first-time center pin, would you invest in a nicer rod or reel with my budget? And would you seek out a nice used reel or buy brand new? Same with the rod. Also, where are some good areas to look for used center pins?

I could not sleep last night thinking about getting a center pin. I feel like a kid the night before christmas!

2. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

Unless you buy a higher end pin with a drag system, CP reels just flip over to change retrieve. It is a spool that spins both directions.
    I always recommend a Matrix XL reel.
    A raven 11 6 Im6 or Lamiglas Centerspin would work well for light Kings.
    Your budget is slightly below buying these brand new.

3. eggfly

eggfly

You can’t go wrong with the Matrix XL reels. You can find new reels online for about $250 last time I looked.

Have you thought about building a rod? You can save some money this way and the basic process is not overly complicated.

4. BMARKS

BMARKS

I have an okuma sst 13'4" 6-12 3pc i will sell you for $60. it is a good rod. barely used, i mean like once. it is the original run of them with 2-6 lb printed on it but it is a 6-12 via factory recall on the printing. that will help you a bit. let me know if you want her.

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

For $60 you can't go wrong with this deal for a starter rod. A 6-12# rod will work great for Steel and Kings. Another good starter might be the Shimano Clarus 13' if you can find one, they stopped making them, but the rod sold for $99 originally.

6. jd4223

jd4223

You can buy an Okuma Aventa centerpin reel all day long for $150 and then add a Shimano Clarus rod for another $99 or look for an Okuma float rod for around the same price.Technically you can use any spinning rod your centerpin reel will fit on. It's more of a preference for length and action and how well the reel balances on the rod.

7. nighttime

nighttime

I’d keep eyes out on manifesto or centerpin talk for a used reel like islander or kingpin. Centerpin junkies are always dumping reels off and some at great deals, then buy a cheaper rod like that okuma for 60-100$ when it’s closer to season. That’s if your mind is set on centerpinning. If you’re not sure if you’ll like pinning then go for the cheaper route and spend 200 on rod and reel. So many used combos pop up. My quess is you’ll be able to find deals up to salmon season then more people will be looking for same stuff to buy. I fished my aventa for 9 years with replacing bearings once, caught a lot of fish on it. But the start up on my Colville is far superior.

8. syonker

syonker

Although considered possibly as blasphemy in this forum, have you considered using a baitcasting reel?

The Great Lakes Angler magazine ran a convincing article last year that featured an Abu Garcia Revo Rocket baitcaster reel in lieu of a traditional centerpin reel.

This reel comes in both LH & RH retrieve configuration.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    RobW likes this.
  9. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Hi everyone, right hand retrieve center pinner here. I have tryed the baitcast thing and will say this. For salmon with skein and egg sinkers and bigger bobs I think they work fine. For lighter steelhead presentations, I watch them fail to much for my liking. Like having to help a centerpin start to give line.

I would say for steelhead for me it would be pin,spin, than bass reel in that order. And when it gets really cold out, I’m an all spin guy...

10. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Hi everyone, right hand retrieve center pinner here. I have tryed the baitcast thing and will say this. For salmon with skein and egg sinkers and bigger bobs I think they work fine. For lighter steelhead presentations, I watch them fail to much for my liking. Like having to help a centerpin start to give line.

I would say for steelhead for me it would be pin,spin, than bass reel in that order. And when it gets really cold out, I’m an all spin guy...

11. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have been using the BC rod and reel for Steelhead the last two winters and for other than really froggy water my reels have worked great. The reel I use the most now is a Diawa Tutula with the air brake system, I also have a couple of Abu Garcia Revo S models that I started with and use on occasion. If I find frogwater (which is rare were I fish)then I switch to the CP system.