Swan Noodle Rod Company!?!?!

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by flyfisher4life1, May 26, 2012.

1. nichola8

nichola8

If Dick doesn’t have any rods around, anyone suggest a rod that’s comparable? I’ve got a backup 10’ okuma connesour I’ve been using for whitefish which is nothing in comparison to the true noodles.

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Dick Swan passed away a few years ago. He doesn't have any rods around, anymore. :(
    He was a great guy, and every avid Steelheader in MI owes him a debt of gratitude. He did a ton of work with the DNR to further our Salmon, and Steelhead fisheries. And he loved to educate others about Steelhead.

3. jd4223

jd4223

I have a Swan Noodle rod(made by Swan Noodle Rod Company)11'-6" 2 piece rated 2-6lbs green color. Paid $71.39 for it over 30 years ago. Still has the price sticker on it. Got it home and found out it was made in China. Tried to take it back but store wouldn't go for it Researched the rod and was informed that Dick Swan authorized/sold rights to China to manufacture rods using his Swan name. Don't consider the rod to be a Swan rod since it was made in China. Same thing with Shakespear using China to manufacture their rods.

Shoeman likes this.
  4. REG

REG

Was one of my favorite sticks, especially for fresh summer runs and kings.

5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

I've got 2 black and 2 green 10'6" swans...love them. Yes they were made in china but I actually saw him at platte lower weir long ago and he said the "new ones" were his result of working w g Loomis. Brownings has issues...I broke a few.

I'd actually like to get my hands on either a green or black 10'6" to add to my collection so I have a full pier/surf set.

In my avatar there's 2 black swans and a browning there before I got my green ones. I actually damaged and broke one of my 3 greens last year which was painful knowing I could not replace it....so now i have 2

NEW HUDSON WALT likes this.
  6. NEW HUDSON WALT

NEW HUDSON WALT

I own four Swan 10.6 rods , I do not fish for the coho , salmon , kings , or steelhead . I use them ALL the time
    for perch fishing and small stream fishing for brookies....wouldn't leave home without them. :):):)

7. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

I use my blacks for perching also. Stream fishing I have a 9 ft browning swan.

8. surfstalker

surfstalker

It's not the same action, but Shakespeare Wild is decent for whitefish. I've fished both swan and Shakespeare, but usually use rods I build.

9. crystalflash

crystalflash

For what’s worth, I was part of Dicks field staff for years so vary long ago and supported his effort on the book he published. And yes he did a great deal in the promotion of the Great Lakes fishery. Going way back a large percentage of his rods were glass rods from Lamiglass, the blank was yellow. Then lamiglass came out with What they called “S” glass, maroon as I remember. From there lamiglass had what became known as a cherry stick. Obviously red. Those were rods he tied. Over the years he wrapped a lot of Loomis blanks, as he did from other manufacturers. He did have other ventures with his endorsement and those weren’t tied in his basement. And some had quality issues. Spent many a night at his place down stairs while he wrapped rods. He could really go at it, he was quick on a wrap. For the most part, not always if it has a decal or info on the blank it’s a market rod. Unless requested by his customer his rods had now identification of any kind.

10. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

My 2 black ones are 2002...got em from meijer. Got the greens made 2006 from Mik lurch in hammond Indiana on a hot tip that they had swan rods. Bought all 3 they had and added reels. Too bad I dumbassed on one of the greens...always sucks to lose a rod...just worse when it's your fault.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  11. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

I knew the Mik Lurch Tackle Shop rather well.. They closed within a couple of years after Cabela's opened a half mile south of them !! It used to amaze me at how many rods they would have in a store that size (rather small) and every rod rack was totally organized!!!! I miss that place!!!!
    Sorry , very off topic!!!

12. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I use to watch him come in late morning at Elk Rapids when the fish bite slowed down. Most know how crystal clear that water is? he would be there 10 minutes and have a fish on. He would land about half of them but he could hook one right after another. We all knew he was using line so thin he could not hold them all. It still worked and I was impressed watching him.

13. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Old thread...
    I know~
    Mik Lurch was a great vendor, I miss buying from them and Johnny Morris has wrecked the legacy of Dick & Jim Cabela.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  14. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

I know it's an old post but fwiw I use Okuma SST 10'6" ML rods on the piers.
    I can see a gobie bite on these rods and have caught 100's of whitefish, numerous steelhead, coho, chinook, lakers, sheepshead, carp, up to 30# and never once had the rods fail.