Swamp White Oaks

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Kingor3, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Kingor3

Kingor3

Does anyone know if swamp white oaks are tastier to deer than regular whites? i know the whites have less tanins than the reds. or is it merely the fact that they grow in moister soils thus being closer to bedding areas and are hit first by the deer. Been finding clusters of them in thick wet stuff and they seem to be getting hammered by the deer. Also do burr oaks produce a larger acorn than swamp whites or vice versa and what is the order of a deers preferance of oaks??

2. Radar420

Radar420

I find swamp white oak acorns tastier than regular white oak and I'd imagine the deer do to.;)

In general, swamp white and bur oaks will have the same size nut though the bur oak has a larger cap.

3. fairfax1

fairfax1 Premium Member

King.......that is a great question: "....what is the order of a deer's preferance of oaks??"

I truly don't know if there is an answer out there but I luv'd to hear some authoritative individual who has studied it give us a little insight.

If you read the QDMA habitat forums you will see much traffic on chinkipin oaks, english oaks, hybrids, whites v. red and so on.

This is an area of study that is begging to be studied....or, if already studied, to then be communicated.

My own observations of swamp-whites is that they are popular because...on the grounds I hunt....they are isolated trees surrounded by ash and soft maple. Any acorn in those areas is sought after simply because the ground isn't blanketed with them. So, any morsel of that size, taste, and texture, appears to be attractive.

I have planted hybrid Swamp Whites (the Schulte cultivar)...but I'm years away from first acorn.

Take a look at English Oaks....a white that is a prolific producer (far greater than any native oak you are likely to see). I have scads of them planted but am just a couple of years away from seeing acorn production.

I've observed them for many years (30+) on the Michigan State campus and their acorn production has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Kingor3

Kingor3

Awesome info guys, i knew I would get some good ideas on this site. I just really started noticing or looking for those secondary food sources and bam in the middle of the swamp loads of acorns with hairy lobes. I'm super intrigued now and think i'll do a little more research. nothing like nature's bait. please anyone add any info thanks king:idea:

5. dbltree

dbltree

Many of the hybrids that Okios Tree crops sells are white swamp oak crosses, all of which are known for low tannin sweet acorns, so I suspect the WSO is indeed a little sweeter...;)