Surfing for steelies

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by BeerCamp, Nov 21, 2008.

1. BeerCamp

BeerCamp

Is anyone still surf fishing for steelies in muskegon, let me know thanks

2. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

From what I can tell Muskegon piers have slowed considerably over the last week or so from the reports I have. I think it would be better if the wind would stop being either N or S at 30 mph.

3. 1mainiac

1mainiac

I have not seen anyone out fishing in a while but then the waves crashing over the pier have kept me off as well. If the wind lets up I will be out there I live over by Fruitport and a couple times the weather report said light winds at the airport so I went over to find 5 to 8 ft waves crashing the pier and the wind blowing a sandstorm down the beach. So rather than go out in the wind and get wet while my truck get sandblasted I went back home. The guys I talked to that have been able to fish say it is slow but they are getting fish.

4. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

It was a slow bite on the beach this weekend. ESE winds, light wave action and high pressure with sunny skies made it tough to find any fish on the piers or surf. Guys in the river pounded them but thats because theres so many fish in the rivers from the big push last week and before the big freeze that we had a few nights ago. It was 16 degrees saturday morning where I was at. This week they expect more North West winds and snow. The fish should be back along the beach again but I'd have to think numbers will be down but fish will be around from now till next spring. If the rivers stay up all winter and we get some warmer days mixed in to keep the shoreline warm enough it should be a good december. Those winds we had last week changed up the troughs a bit too. This time of year fishing pressure winds down. Most don't like to fish when its a wind chill in the teens with wind speeds from the NW in the 20's and gusts to 30. Better that than East any day.

5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

I'll be smoking my last steel catch this afternoon for the Thanksgiving feast - everyone loves it!!

I'll be taking a serious shot at fishing for steel over the long weekend as my honeydo list is caught up and the winds look like they will somewhat cooperate. My idea of a good Black Friday is one spent fishing. :lol:

6. BeerCamp

BeerCamp

Thanks for the info guys I hope to be out there sometime this weekend to give it a try. Are guys catching more fish on spawn or spoons, if spawn how is that done are you just setting it on bottom or what, kinda new to the peir thing any info helps a lot.

Thanks again,
    Ken

7. bumpbottom

bumpbottom

best sucess I have had is tying up the bags with floaters. Tie up pinks and chartruse. Pyramid sinker with a barrel swivel on the main line. leader off of the barrel about 3 feet. 1 BB splitshot about ten inches up from the hook. The fish can then take the bait without feeling resistance as the sinker stays on the bottom and the line is basically "free" out to the bait.

8. BeerCamp

BeerCamp

Thanks I will try that. What spawn is working the best Ive seen posts that say steelie spawn, but I dont have any of that all I have is frozen salmon spawn will that work or do I need to try to find something else?

9. bumpbottom

bumpbottom

If the fish are there fresh salmon should work for you.

10. Greenbush future

Greenbush future

I am just getting started !