1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Hit the river last couple days, and had some fun. Nice to fish in a little more flow, and almost no hang ups. That didn’t last of course, as they dropped it back down the next day. Water temps cooled off to 70* with the nice weather we’ve had, but obviously that’s going to change with yet another heat wave.

As I’ve passed the time between spring and fall, I have been fishing about as simply as you can; sliding sinker, leader, and hook. I’ve used crawlers the entire time, nothing else. The variety of fish landed is across the board; walleye, trout, suckers, carp, sheephead, catfish, smallmouth, largemouth, pike, bluegill and rockbass. They’ve all hit the deck on a crawler.

This weekend, I landed both kinds of bass, a pike, drum, a couple gills, rockbass, and walleye. I’m still waiting for some summer steel to show up in my spot to the north. Until then, I’ll probably just keep drifting crawls, unless it’s hot out.

2. Kyle Maliszewski

Kyle Maliszewski

Great mixed bag. Thanks for sharing.

-Kyle

3. DrMeyer

DrMeyer

4. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Getting your “warm water” on I see. Choice! Done more crawler drifting myself this summer than ever with this crappy “wind every weekend” weather. Deff fun way to pass the time! AB06081F-C5A2-41A8-B2B7-592094C68940.jpeg

5. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Probably done now, for awhile. Flows are in the 900s and temp has hit 78* during the day. The eye bite has already faded from what it was, but will really be sparse now.

6. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

When do you think you will get the first king up there Jon? Lake trout are still fairly shallow for this time of year so I don’t think the usual end of July is out of the question. Especially when the cold water isn’t too far from the pier heads...

7. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

If you can get out to the north...3 weeks.